Injury on board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury on board

Hi guys, not sure where i should be posting this but thought this place would be best as could do with someone who knows the industry

Basically, im a 2nd phase cadet who had to be sent home before the end of their first trip due to an injury sustained on board, i am still unsure as to where the blame lies in the injury gained.
    I have an injury as a result of this which i have only been able to have checked out today, which the doctors have said is quite bad because it has been left 3 weeks now.

When the injury happened we were deep sea from one port to another, with 4 days until the next port, so i was given rest, and an ice pack and painkillers etc. i got to the next port where i was sent to a clinic, where it was found that i needed to have some medical attention to remedy the injury, the clinic were willing to do the work, however they called the agent who said that i had to be returned to the ship as we were departing. I was told i would need to be signed off at the next port.

When i returned to the ship, the captain said the office couldnt let me sign off there as we were due to depart and it would cost money to delay the ship so i would have to wait and get off at the next port in 10 days, which turned out to be 14 days, however 6 hrs later we still hadnt left (in my opinion plenty time to sign me off)

I finally got off 14 days later and got home and to the accident and emergency and found out that as a result of the time taken that my injury is a lot worse and also as a result again of the delay in treatment that i will take longer to recover.

My question is first of all, is it possible that i could request a change of sponsor due to the fact that i have no trust in this company due to their lack of care and attention with my injury?

Also secondly, if things are considered to have caused a longstanding issue with this bodypart, is there grounds for some sort of claim against this company for the sheer ignorance of my injury?

Bearing in mind that i am a cadet and not technically employed by this company?

Also, even though we have healthcare in the uk, should i have been given private healthcare through this companys insurer?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Ducttape; 1 July 2015, 11:14 PM. Reason: Minor change

Urm, right, where to begin with this, as there are a few gaps....

Going into blame for how the injury occurred and who's fault it was is irrelevant at this particular stage to be honest, it won't change anything.

When you were injured, did the vessel contact one of the radio medical folks for advice? When you were sent ashore, you should have been given some form of documentation to pass on to the doctor (usually detailing what the injury/condition is, what medication/treatment you've had, etc) and the doctor will usually add their bit to the form and/or will give you a report of their own, do you have a copy of this report? On the report it will say whether you were fit for duty or not, and if you were not fit then, in theory, you should be signed off at that port. Now, without knowing the port or the country, I cannot comment on whether 6 hours is enough time or not for all the customs and specifically the immigration formalities and whether it can be done within 6 hours (i'd be very surprised if it was the office saying it couldn't be done, even commercial operators understand the need for us to get someone off for medical grounds). For example, it's Ramadan, so everyone in the Middle East is working reduced hours or down to skeleton crews so nothing is going quickly at all.

If we assume that the report the doctor says "unfit for duty, further treatment required" then I'm surprised that they left it a further two weeks to get you off the ship, so it makes me wonder if the Captain ever told them or not? If i'm being totally honest, without knowing who the exact training company you're with is I doubt you'll get a change of sponsor over it. There might be some claim opportunity further down the line, but you would have to prove that they were negligent over your repatriation and medical care, this is a lot harder than it sounds (which goes back to my point about whether the vessel's staff told anyone or not).

Now, this is the bit I think we will need Newbie or Lee Clarke to come along and comment on because I might be wrong here, but as far as I'm aware, if you were injured on board and medically repatriated, this should be covered under vessel's P&I insurance and that further medical treatment should be sorted under that? (or at least it has done when I've been involved in repatriating other nationalities in similar conditions in the past).

Would it be possible for you to send me a PM with some more details? Just so I can get a slightly clearer picture and can provide better advice.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Injury on board

Pm sent mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guinessman your inbox is full so cant send another reply

Comment

Should be working now...

Comment

Originally posted by Ducttape View Post
            When the injury happened we were deep sea from one port to another, with 4 days until the next port, so i was given rest, and an ice pack and painkillers etc. i got to the next port where i was sent to a clinic, where it was found that i needed to have some medical attention to remedy the injury, the clinic were willing to do the work, however they called the agent who said that i had to be returned to the ship as we were departing. I was told i would need to be signed off at the next port.

When i returned to the ship, the captain said the office couldnt let me sign off there as we were due to depart and it would cost money to delay the ship so i would have to wait and get off at the next port in 10 days, which turned out to be 14 days, however 6 hrs later we still hadnt left (in my opinion plenty time to sign me off)
            The decision on whether you were fit to rejoin should have been the Doctors, not the Captain/Company.

My question is first of all, is it possible that i could request a change of sponsor due to the fact that i have no trust in this company due to their lack of care and attention with my injury?
            You can always ask

Also secondly, if things are considered to have caused a longstanding issue with this bodypart, is there grounds for some sort of claim against this company for the sheer ignorance of my injury?
            Personally I would hang fire on this as there is always a risk you could compromise your training. It shouldn't be the case but I would be mindful about wading in with a legal claim. You have three years in which to submit a personal injury claim, therefore I would concentrate on your recovery in the first instance. If you do have a longstanding medical condition or if it impacts on your training then this is something you could consider. In the meantime keep records of what happened, what treatment you have had, doctors letters/sick notes etc...

Bearing in mind that i am a cadet and not technically employed by this company?
            Doesn't matter

Also, even though we have healthcare in the uk, should i have been given private healthcare through this companys insurer?
            No, unless it is stipulated in your training agreement.

I hope your recovery goes well.

Comment

Thanks newbie for your response

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                Now, this is the bit I think we will need Newbie or Lee Clarke to come along and comment on because I might be wrong here, but as far as I'm aware, if you were injured on board and medically repatriated, this should be covered under vessel's P&I insurance and that further medical treatment should be sorted under that? (or at least it has done when I've been involved in repatriating other nationalities in similar conditions in the past)
                Most P&I deductibles are in the region of USD 20k-50k therefore it's unlikely the company would use the insurer in such a case.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                  Most P&I deductibles are in the region of USD 20k-50k therefore it's unlikely the company would use the insurer in such a case.
                  Thanks for that! It's been a while since we medically repatriated someone so I couldn't remember if P&I were involved or not....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are worried about waiting times with the NHS, you can always try talking to the guys who run HMS Dreadnought as part of the Seafarers Hospital Society;
                    http://www.seahospital.org.uk/medical_services.html

It is complicated to comment with out knowing all the facts.
                    But I would agree holding off on injury claims, if you do want your career at sea. I would hope your sponsor would be helpful, is your sponsor the same company as the ship and Captain as that could limit them, and further more the Captain probably refered to the advice of the Medical Doctor of the situation, surely any immediate medical care required would of been ordered by the doctor, what did the doctor tell you at the time, obviously you felt happy at the time to rejoin the ship with the doctors information also? No one can change history, so if it is not a long term injury, try to weigh up replies from the company with reason, not emotion of your ordeal. I realise it is easy for myself to say that, but with out knowing all the details I don't want to encourage over-reaction as it can hinder yourself in a long term career, where you can help us raise the level of safety at sea.

Hope you recover soon.

Comment

Hi, my training officer is looking into it now after ive sent them a detailed explanation of what happened, the doctor said to be signed off at the next port as we were at anchorage when i went to see her, however there was plenty of opportunity for the captain to send me home, instead he blamed the office for telling me to stay, and kept me on board, from what i gather i dont think the company were ever notified, also my training officer wasnt notified at all during the whole time

Comment

Hi, my training officer is looking into it now after ive sent them a detailed explanation of what happened, the doctor said to be signed off at the next port as we were at anchorage when i went to see her, however there was plenty of opportunity for the captain to send me home, instead he blamed the office for telling me to stay, and kept me on board, from what i gather i dont think the company were ever notified, also my training officer wasnt notified at all during the whole time

The biggest bit of advice here, would be always take your training officers telephone number with you to sea, contact them if ever in doubt. Late for you, but possibly vital information for another cadet in the future.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i think i just went along with what was said when i was there through lack of experience, even all the crew were telling me what was happening was wrong but it was too late by time i realised

Comment

Working...
                          X