main engine related question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• main engine related question

Hi, all. I am an ex engineering officer cadet who completed my cadetship and then took a job with an oil and gas company. A few years later I find myself coming full circle and I have an interview with a large marine engineering company. I have been given a few questions that I need to reply to before the interview and most of them are pretty straightforward apart from one. I am hoping someone will be able to help me or at least point me in the right direction of where to look. The only thing I have for reference at home is my trusty "introduction to marine engineering" book. Any help would be appreciated no matter how small. Thank you all.

Here is the question:
    A camshaft drive has failed in service and you have to replace it. Working from first principles, state how you would ensure the injection timing was correct given that injection occurs at 18 degrees BTDC. The flywheel is marked in degrees and the fuel pump is of a conventional type, having a single delivery valve located at the discharge port.

From the way I read it, it's basically asking how you set up a fuel pump timing. So basically when setting up the fuel pump you're gonna need to make sure the spill ports are covered at the correct time. As they have mentioned the flywheel is marked you just need to turn the engine so that your piston is on its upward stroke. You would check the fuel pump by using a torch through the spill ports and as you approach 18 degrees before tdc the spill ports should become covered (this means start of injection). As soon as the spill port is covered you should stop the engine turning and check the markings on the flywheel to make sure it corresponds correctly. This is the simplest way to do it but there are other methods too.

Comment

Can we move this to the engine forum, is useful for cadets!

Comment

Working...
      X