This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your help.
    Avoided the form over the festive period, seem to have now completed it and everything was looking ok.
    Once submitted im guessing that its then? Unless they choose you for checks?

Comment

Hi everyone, quick question regarding tax. I work on a standby vessel so we count being outside the 12nm as being eligible for a tax day but someone has recently told me this is a myth, and right enough the HMRC website makes no reference to 12nm. Any idea what the actual rules are for qualifying for tax days?

Comment

You have to be ropes off engines running and embarking on your voyage before midnight to qualify for one night, it doesn’t matter where you go so long as you don’t return until after midnight. To be eligible you also need to call at one foreign port in your tax year, just once technically means you’re eligible.

I’m a ferry engineer so tax evasion is a precise science for us, we only get “nights out” by minutes most days. We occasionally, in bad weather, leave the UK for our safe spot just off the coast of Kent and return a few hours after midnight - this counts as a night out even though we are a couple of NM down the road looking at the British coast. We also count let go ropes as our “time started out of the country”.

Comment

How does the days in hand work? My tax table shows them fluctuating after each trip/training period away. Sometimes 72.5, sometimes 19. I'm trying to work out what I have for when my study leave period arrives. Cheers in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by moose View Post
            How does the days in hand work? My tax table shows them fluctuating after each trip/training period away. Sometimes 72.5, sometimes 19. I'm trying to work out what I have for when my study leave period arrives. Cheers in advance!
            ”days in hand” is the extra you have left after your previous claim. We need 183 days out to claim (on a ship, on a holiday abroad, anything outside the UK), if you managed to get 193 days out last time you claimed in April 2017 you have 10 extra days; your days in hand. This means next year you could get 174 days out and still claim SED, which will reduce your days in hand to 1. If you have 0 days in hand and get less than 183 days out, you cannot claim your tax back as you’re not eligible. You can collect days in hand indefinitely, I know people who live quarter the year abroad and work half the year abroad so have 900+ days in hand; essentially meaning they could probably claim SED if they did one qualifying day at sea per year.

So your table fluctuating is probably an error, as there is no way you can jump from 72.5 to 19 UNLESS you claimed your tax back and only had 129 days out thus used your days in hand from previous years. You can only increase your days in hand the moment you reach your 183rd day out of the country since your previous tax return claim/when you decided to to start collecting days if it’s your first time.

Easiest thing to do... sit and look at a calendar and put a dot on every day you were on ship abroad/on holiday and count. The tables can be rubbish if you do one small thing wrong or it’s designed for another kind of seafarer (long trip vs short trip).

Comment

Thanks agibb!

Found a cracking app to help those unsure:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....SeafarersCalc

Comment

Thanks agibb!

Found a cracking app to help those unsure:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....SeafarersCalc
                I just put all my dates in, and everything matches my excel sheet except days in hand. The app gives way more days in hand than the excel sheet and I can't work out why as all the days in UK and days out of UK and running totals all match otherwise

Comment

Hey guys,

Recently qualified and went to work in February. Just got back and wondering what I should do about the time from when I went out to April. Do I need to declare and pay tax on it? Or do I wait until I have those 356 days for the claim period for SED?

Comment

If you got paid PAYE from a UK company then you dont need to do anything for now but can claim the tax already paid later when you have the 365 days.

If you got paid cash from a foreign bank account, you will need to declare it. Feb -Apr 5th falls under the 2017-2018 tax year so you need to submit your online return by 31st jan 2019.
                    If you predict your 365 day claim period will start in Feb 2019 then you could make a partial SED claim say 11/12ths of your taxable salary, and your personal allowance will cover the rest with the result you pay no income tax. Or you could pay the tax, wait until you know the SED days for sure, then claim the refund on the tax youve already paid.
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

If I have been working from September 2014 til present does my claim just keep rolling as long as I always meet the requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by neilmcarthur95 View Post
                        If I have been working from September 2014 til present does my claim just keep rolling as long as I always meet the requirements?
                        That's how I understand it. The app implies that it keeps rolling unless it starts another period

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post

I just put all my dates in, and everything matches my excel sheet except days in hand. The app gives way more days in hand than the excel sheet and I can't work out why as all the days in UK and days out of UK and running totals all match otherwise
                          If you have your days in hand, does it match your excel sheet?

Comment

If you have your days in hand, does it match your excel sheet?
                            Nope. Days in hand is the only thing that doesn't match. It seems that the app gives twice as many days in hand as the excel sheet. I think it's something to do with how they define a day in hand

Comment

Working...
                            X