This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    It was a claim for April to January if that's what you mean?
    A claim period must be 365 days or more. It doesn't really relate to the tax year. Presumably you claimed SED for some or all of the preceding tax year to make up 365+ days?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      A claim period must be 365 days or more. It doesn't really relate to the tax year. Presumably you claimed SED for some or all of the preceding tax year to make up 365+ days?
      Yes, I claimed for the period January to January with a partial claim from April to January.

The only thing that will effect the claim is if you only have one foreign port. In this case mine was in April so the claim had to be for the year 15/16 rather than 14/15.

Comment

Originally posted by stumobir View Post
        Is there a way to get a partial refund since I've been out of the country more often than not since I started to work?
        As Faust has helped clarify, few valid claim periods will start and end coincidentally with a tax year. The key point is, is your claim period 365 days or more? If you are starting the claim in August 2015, the answer is "not yet".

Comment

I think even from Steve asking me about my claim you can see tax is complex and best left to accountants in my opinion.

Comment

So for the last 3 years I've done my tax return for april to april, and have qualified easily for the sed, this year however, I only have 159 days out of the country because I was studying. Is there any way I can make a partial claim for sed or am I just going to have to bite the bullet? (I really can't afford the £200 for a tax expert to tell me the answer and/or do it for me right now either!)

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Type your dates into the spreadsheet, see if your days in hand save you. If you get any yeses then you could be in trouble.
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

A quick question...

For my primary employment I work Deep Sea 6 months (ish) on/off, and together with holidays exceed the 183 day threshold.

In my leave I've been working 3 weeks on/off on a Coastal trading vessel, with the voyages fully inside British waters. These were British operated ships so I've been paid gross, with tax and NI taken at source.

Can I claim back the Tax I've already had taken from me on the British Coastal vessels (despite not spending a single day sailing abroad) due to me having met SED criteria through another companies vessel?

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                  So for the last 3 years I've done my tax return for april to april, and have qualified easily for the sed, this year however, I only have 159 days out of the country because I was studying. Is there any way I can make a partial claim for sed or am I just going to have to bite the bullet? (I really can't afford the £200 for a tax expert to tell me the answer and/or do it for me right now either!)
                  This may well be a time where its worth while paying, apart from anything if they cant get you the traditional refund they may find other costs you have that can be reduced union fees etc. I use a period that ends in july so technically when I do a claim its for only part of the period if I then had a period where it didn't work out I would still be claiming april-july and then starting another claim again, both these would help reduce the period where I was paying tax and possibly drop me below the tax threshold.

Originally posted by Slowhands View Post
                  A quick question...

For my primary employment I work Deep Sea 6 months (ish) on/off, and together with holidays exceed the 183 day threshold.

In my leave I've been working 3 weeks on/off on a Coastal trading vessel, with the voyages fully inside British waters. These were British operated ships so I've been paid gross, with tax and NI taken at source.

Can I claim back the Tax I've already had taken from me on the British Coastal vessels (despite not spending a single day sailing abroad) due to me having met SED criteria through another companies vessel?
                  No as the earnings don't qualify, 'if you had more than one employment in the eligible period, you may only claim the deduction for those in which you performed duties outside the UK.' from the helpsheet. so your primary employment you can claim the SED but the secondary job you cant, however once you remove the main earnings it will still reduce the tax you loose on the second job as you get the tax free allowance back again.

And student loans have nothing to do with how much tax you pay, but comes off based on how much you earn over a set threshold
                  you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

There is an update to the SED help sheet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...deduction-2015

Ive not compared to last years to see if there are any changes yet.
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by chrisroberts View Post
                      Does anyone know if you can claim back student loan payments? As i understand these payments are based on taxable income and therefore could be claimed back? thanks
                      I'm also unsure of this. Anyone know?

Comment

You cant. As SED is an income tax relief you can only claim the income tax back.

Comment

Just looking at my tax for this year as recent contract changes have resulted in me spending more time at home and shorter trips. This HS205 "help sheet"... Does anyone know if you are just supposed to keep that running indefinitely or do you start a new one each year?

The guidance on the HMRC website just states the period has to be 365 days "or more", it doesn't state a maximum. So presumably I can just start it from when I qualified in 2013 up until now and keep adding to it to ensure each trip is eligible for deductions? Or am I supposed to start a new sheet each time I get a period over 365 days? The reason I ask is if I just keep it running from when I started it looks all good but if I have to start a new one each time I get a period over 365 days I get a "yes" for one of my trips this year as I have had a couple of shorter trips with relatively long leaves which I think has broken the "the total number of days you’ve spent in the UK isn’t more than one-half of the total number of days from your first day abroad to the last day of the period you spent abroad after that return visit" rule. If I keep things running cumulatively from 2013 then this isn't a problem.

Any advice? Yes I could get an accountant and maybe I will but I'd rather understand the rules for myself!

Comment

You keep the claim period running until it fails. If it hasn't failed since 2013, it's still the same period of eligibility, the same claim period.

Comment

Great news cheers. That is what I was thinking based on reading around on the web but good to have someone else confirm that I'm reading things correctly!

Comment

You can keep your claim running forever as long as you don't break the half day rule, but you need a foreigner port call in every financial year (6th April to 5th April) for every employment.

Comment

Working...
                                X