This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SED Tax Return Selfassesment

So after last year paying someone to do the tax return I thought I should do it myself.
    First register for SA online, this can take a while and they suggest you don't use a search engine to find HMRC so http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/registeronline

As finding the exact box can be difficult even with last years print out to follow here are some screen grabs
    Main menu, will show any sections not completed or any sections that have errors/ unanswered questions and allow quick navigation to them
    tax4.jpg
    Tailor your Return, this gives a list of which allowances etc you can claim, and typically on Page 3 rather than having the option for SED it has the option for 'Others' select yes and it will allow access to different pages
    tax.jpg
    Page 1 'Other allowances' and bang there is SED at the top of the page, only two boxes so pretty easy
    tax2.jpg
    Tell them where you want the money to go
    tax3.jpg

At the end it should give you a view of the calculation and tell you what is due back if it looks like what you expect you've done the form right and if it doesn't you haven't, anyway hope this helps
    Remember that you need to have a qualifying period before you can claim and that if audited you will need proof that you are entitled to it and they can review up to 5 years ago so never throw anything out
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

I pay tax through PAYE, my employed takes it out of my salary every month.
    However it has come to the end of the tax year and with more than eight months out of the country I am entitled to SED and therefore the tax I have paid should be refunded.

Do I still need to complete an SA or is there another means of doing it?

Comment

I think you can just fill in the sed form part of the sed helpsheet then call the tax office who will probably ask you to post it to them.
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Thanking ETwhat for the timely reminder to do my tax return

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by waverider View Post
          I pay tax through PAYE, my employed takes it out of my salary every month.
          However it has come to the end of the tax year and with more than eight months out of the country I am entitled to SED and therefore the tax I have paid should be refunded.

Do I still need to complete an SA or is there another means of doing it?
          You can only claim for SED when you have a complete and qualifying period which will be 365 days after you first left the country regardless of if you have enough days out of the country (8 months) you still have to wait until its a full year https://www.gov.uk/government/public...deduction-2015 gives the rules for it. theres also limits on being able to count days in the UK ie you cant do it as 185 days out and 185 days in but you can do it as 185 days out 184 days in followed by 1 day out (don't really understand it).

Completing the helpsheet is only for your guidance after that you still need to do the self assessment as that is the bit where the tax office will calculate how much you will get back.

S4, it was so next year I can easily remember where I finally found the right options.

Comment

Boom, return submitted. £17 refund on interest coming my way. I'm off to spend the money I might have paid a tax advisor.

By the way, for people with partial SED refunds, ie their SED only covers some of the tax year, you can try claiming Nautilus membership as a professional expense against your employment income which will reduce your taxable income by ~ £258. Every little helps.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
              S4, it was so next year I can easily remember where I finally found the right options.
              Haha! When I did it for the first time last year I couldn't find the one box to tick that made it all work out right and came crawling here for help!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                , you can try claiming Nautilus membership as a professional expense against your employment income which will reduce your taxable income by ~ £258. Every little helps.
                £258 seriously? Forget reducing your taxable income, I can see a way to save yourself £258 straight off.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

If I didnt need 90 days of unoccupied flat insurance from Endsleigh (who Nautilus have a deal with), I would leave them in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by ETwhat? View Post
                    Remember that you need to have a qualifying period before you can claim and that if audited you will need proof that you are entitled to it and they can review up to 5 years ago so never throw anything out
                    Thanks for such a useful breakdown of the process, the tax companies will be paying the site to delete this thread :P

The HMRC can investigate you as far back as they want, there is no 5 year limit for them to investigate you, so it is advisable to keep all you tax evidence forever. There is a 5 year limit for you to question them though.

Comment

There's plenty of extra bits that can make it complicated enough if you have more incomes and things which can make an accountant worthwhile. That said a lot of the tax relief that a normal self employed person is irrelevant and you there fore don't need to tell them about, as you get a full refund there is nothing left to offset them against.

For a standard self assessment HMRC advises that you only need to keep records for 22months after the deadline. but yeah its easy enough to scan everything and keep it

Comment

HMRC can go back a maximum of 20 years if they think you've been dodgy and 6 years if they think you've been 'careless' (whatever than may mean)

http://www.rossmartin.co.uk/tax-guid...ent-and-claims
                        io parlo morse

Comment

Does anyone know how to do a different year? When I log in it only gives me the option for 2014/15, which I have already completed. Thanks

Comment

If you are trying to claim for a year for which you have already completed a tax return or paid PAYE then you will need to contact the Marine Tax office in Cardiff.
                            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Seeing as I got ppi payments this year all taxed at 20% hoping I can persuade them it's un earnt income and get it back next year......... That would be nice
                              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Working...
                              X