A "just out of curiosity" tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "just out of curiosity" tax question

Basically if you are in a situation in which you don't pay tax because you are out of the country for the required time per year etc, if you had a part time job whilst you were home how would this work with tax? Would it be classed as a second job and you instantly get the high tax rate or would you have a "normal" tax code based on just these earnings? Or another situation?

I suppose one answer is "minefield - get an accountant" which probably would be the best plan but I'm just interested.

why on earth would you want a part time job?!?!?!

However, going from when I have done "odd jobs" for sailing charities,...you declare the income BUT if you are tax free and have NOT used your allowance (10k currently) then so long as your income is <10k then it stays tax free, however if or when you break the tax free SED then it will get messy and expensive.

Basically as you arent using your "allowance" you cna off set the esecond income against that.......But YES get an accountant or ask taxman in the SED department....not a normal taxman / tax office
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Nah I don't want another job... well I will want A JOB in a few months, but not a second. I just wondered how it works because I know of people that work part time at the Colleges etc. This is what happens when we're at anchor and I have nothing better to think about.

I did wonder what happened with the tax free allowance though so that's another of my random questions answered.

Thanks Chiefy!

Comment

I have taxable income from savings interest, small business and some casual work I do. As long as it's less than my personal allowance I don't pay any tax.
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

So, to clarify:

If you are at sea for 183+ days your MN wage does not count toward your tax free allowance?

So effectively you start from scratch with a potential second income which is shore based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBjerke View Post
            So, to clarify:

If you are at sea for 183+ days your MN wage does not count toward your tax free allowance?

So effectively you start from scratch with a potential second income which is shore based?

The second part yes, the first is not so simple. There are other factors than simply having been at sea for more than 183 days in the tax year.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

But yes if you have an eligible period for SED you can use your personal allowance of ~10k as you like
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Obviously 183+ in non uk waters I assume.

Cool beans though

Comment

Yes, plus a foreign crew change at least once a year and possibly some other conditions. One good thing though, is if you're a bit under the 183 days, you can use holidays abroad as qualifying time

Comment

Really? Thats hilarious

Comment

What if it's an all British crew and no foreign crew change but you are away for 183+ days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma Goose View Post
                        What if it's an all British crew and no foreign crew change but you are away for 183+ days?
                        What's the crew nationality got to do with taxation and SED? (not sarcasm, genuine question)
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I think what Ma Goose meant was that if you have an all british crew you are more likely to do crew changes in the UK.

Some UK coastal companies actually do 1 foreign crew change per year to ensure that people get their qualifying sea time in as this means that they can attract seafarers on lower salaries than they would otherwise be able to.
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Yes, I know P&O maritime do this for the Cefas ship. I think IOM counts as a foreign port.
                            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                              I think IOM counts as a foreign port.
                              It is. As are the Channel Islands.

Comment

Working...
                              X