X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobofinga
    • June 2010

National insurance rebate

Just wondering if anybody has any experience reclaiming UK National insurance payments?

The company I work for are UK registered and I pay national insurance and tax straight off my wage monthly.

Obviously I can claim my tax back yearly which I do however I have heard of other officers claiming back national insurance and paying only voluntary payments?

Apparently , as I understand , it depends where you 'signed' your employment contract with the company. Aslong as you were outside the UK you are eligible?

This is the form

Tell HMRC if you're an offshore worker, seafarer or mariner and get advice about your National Insurance contributions.

Any info would be great!
  • chris
    • June 2010

Im in a similar situation, filled the form in and now waiting for a reply from the tax people.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

• IFHP
      • January 2013

If you work on either UK or IOM registered ships than you are subject to full class 1 National Insurance contributions, if you work on foreign flag then you can do voluntary contributions - I learned the hard way on this and got a very hefty NI bill!

But as with all advice on here seek the opinion of a professional!

Comment

• chris
        • June 2010

And is that pro rated to the 6 months you say work on the UK flagged ship?
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

• Clanky
          • January 2011

It is not as simple as the flag of the ship.

Even if the ship is foreign flagged, if the owners or operators are UK based then they look at where you agreed your contract (not just where you signed it).

So for instance, if you had a phone call at home in the UK to fly out to Cyprus to sign a contract then they would class that as agreeing your contract in the UK and you would be liable for class 1 contributions.

As IFHP said best to get advice from the professionals, in my experience HMRC themselves are very helpful and will explain clearly how they work and what you have to pay.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

• EH75
            • May 2010

Would also be interested in the answer to this. Bermuda flagged ships, flying the red ensign, employed by a company based in the channel islands but mostly administered from the UK. Employment agreement signed by myself in the UK but signed by the company in the channel islands. I am sure you can all guess who.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Comment

• chris
              • June 2010

Ive been on IoM flagged ships, crewing out of Singapore, paid a monthly salary, signed contract while deep sea. Will let you know the HMRC judgement.

Comment

• Midge
                • August 2012

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                Would also be interested in the answer to this. Bermuda flagged ships, flying the red ensign, employed by a company based in the channel islands but mostly administered from the UK. Employment agreement signed by myself in the UK but signed by the company in the channel islands. I am sure you can all guess who.

Let us know how you get on with this.
                Eh I can guess who, but just wondered if it turned out you had to pay, is there a CI option that would be cheaper to pay? If so is there a reciprocal agreement ? Just thought I'd put that in the mix. Might have a little search on the website, but I found them helpful when I've called them in the past not sure what web stuff there is they have updated it all since I used it.
                You would have to check if the benefits would be the same or better than you would receive in the Uk, and if the contributions would be more or less.

see article 9
                This Order makes provision for the modification of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 and the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 and regulations made or having effect thereunder so as to give effect to the Agreement set out in the Schedule to the Order. The Agreement relates to contributions, sickness benefit, maternity allowance, invalidity benefit, unemployment benefit, retirement pension, widow’s benefit, family benefits, attendance benefits and industrial injuries benefits.
                Last edited by Midge; 7 July 2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: New info added

Comment

• IFHP
                  • January 2013

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  Ive been on IoM flagged ships, crewing out of Singapore, paid a monthly salary, signed contract while deep sea. Will let you know the HMRC judgement.
                  I was the exact same as that mate and I think we both worked for the same company, I was under the radar with them and then got the questionnaire through the post and they went back 5 years and hit me with a HUGE bill. Don't BS them though as they have copies of all IOM Ships Articles.

Comment

• chris
                    • June 2010

Im ready to pay if required, will just have to subtract ni from my salary when comparing with other job offers.

Comment

• bobofinga
                      • June 2010

Any update on your rebate Chris?

Comment

• chris
                        • June 2010

No news. I got a letter saying thanks for the NI questionnaire and that they were busy.

Comment

• EH75
                          • May 2010

Reminds me of the last time I tried to phone the tax office. Went through about 5 minutes worth of menus only to receive an automated message: "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls and cannot deal with your enquiry, please try again later" and then it hung up! Didn't even give me the option to hold! I tried again at multiple different times, including a Sunday morning. Each time I got the same thing. Don't know how the hell you are supposed to get through to them. I think I just gave up in the end.

Comment

• endure
                            • May 2014

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                            Reminds me of the last time I tried to phone the tax office. Went through about 5 minutes worth of menus only to receive an automated message: "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls and cannot deal with your enquiry, please try again later" and then it hung up! Didn't even give me the option to hold! I tried again at multiple different times, including a Sunday morning. Each time I got the same thing. Don't know how the hell you are supposed to get through to them. I think I just gave up in the end.
                            I've found that if I shout down the phone 'I owe you some tax - I want to pay you some MONEY!' they pick it up straight away :-)
                            io parlo morse

Comment

• Silvertop
                              • October 2013

They are getting worse at present. Last year it took them nearly 6 months to send me my bill, and then have the nerve to ask for payment within 2weeks!! This year I sent it off early May and not heard anything back yet, I did ring them and they 'have a backlog'!!!!
                              If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Working...
                              X