Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirts

Hi all,

New job, I'm actually required to wear uniform all the time. Crisis. Can anyone recommend a decent supplier for short sleeve white shirts with epaulette tabs? I've bought shirts from the usual suppliers in the past and have been sorely disappointed by the poor quality (i.e. almost see-through).
    Ideally looking for something along the lines of the RN white shirts. Reasonably 'thick', hard wearing and low-iron.

Cheers.

Miller Raynor have a heavy weight version, no idea what they are like though. Saw them on my hunt for bear uniform ideas. What about looking at the aviation sites? Charles Tyrwitt have good shirts non iron but don't know if they make anything with epaulettes. You could email them and ask. My lot haven't managed to destroy them which is quite something. Other than military stores can't think of anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by condeh View Post
      Hi all,

New job, I'm actually required to wear uniform all the time. Crisis. Can anyone recommend a decent supplier for short sleeve white shirts with epaulette tabs? I've bought shirts from the usual suppliers in the past and have been sorely disappointed by the poor quality (i.e. almost see-through).
      Ideally looking for something along the lines of the RN white shirts. Reasonably 'thick', hard wearing and low-iron.

Cheers.
      Same, most of the UK suppliers seem to be pants quality - specially MR - best shirts and trousers I ever had we're from a company called Cintas Workwear - they lasted 6 years - unfortunately their USA based and while they'll ship to UK unless you have a US credit card you can't order from them directly :-(

I'd recommend if your ever going to be in Piraeus, there is an amazing uniform shop round the corner from the main passenger terminals which is both cheap and excellent quality.
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

[QUOTE=alistairuk;78534]Same, most of the UK suppliers seem to be pants quality - specially MR - best shirts and trousers I ever had we're from a company called Cintas Workwear - they lasted 6 years - unfortunately their USA based and while they'll ship to UK unless you have a US credit card you can't order from them directly :-(

I'd recommend if your ever going to be in Piraeus, there is an amazing uniform shop round the corner from the main passenger terminals which is both cheap and excellent quality.[/QUOTE

Useful to know, what's Len Beck and SM Bass like? I see there is a tailor G Golding interesting prices makes mess suits etc, appointment to HM. Might do if you are feeling wealthy.
        Personally I have always bought best quality well cut clothes for work suits and classic items ie black dress they last years. Not that you are likely to buy a little black dress! Buy cheaper stuff for fashion things, and colours that date. Or you buy cheap and often and bin them.

I suppose you could try one from each and market test them!

Comment

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/aviatio...ot-shirts-c194 Go for the V:One slim shirts, from personal experience they are top notch, a good fit and comfy. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
            Or you buy cheap and often and bin them.
            As you say - if MR were cheap - one wouldn't mind so much - shame they're anything but
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Buy the real thing on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Military-Surplus-RN-Royal-Navy-Mans-White-Short-Sleeve-Shirt-/161085722723
              (They are quite difficult to find in retail outlets).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Buy the real thing on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Military-Surplus-RN-Royal-Navy-Mans-White-Short-Sleeve-Shirt-/161085722723
                (They are quite difficult to find in retail outlets).
                Ahh of course Cadetdirect.com too. Very prompt service perhaps there are some ex marine cadets sea cadets on here that have used the white shirts, only had the RAF ones here. So no idea if they are the same but not destroyed one yet.

Comment

I looked at Cadet Direct, they do not offer the correct pattern. RN white short sleeve or tropical pattern shirts do not have pocket flaps.

Comment

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/aviatio...ot-shirts-c194! Believe me after hours of searching before a sea trip these are the best out there

Comment

Steve, I have scoured eBay, only found the link you provided, I'm afraid a 19' neck is a bit baggy, even for me :P No surplus store online seems to provide them, frustrating.

I have taken a gamble on a cadet direct shirt, not bothered about pocket flaps, just don't want to feel the need to wear a white t-shirt under my shirt, getting a bit warm for that lark. Will report back on its quality!

Comment

cadetdirect had many visits while I was in cadets! Any Trinity House types lurking around, who aren't currently at sea?

Comment

Im pretty happy with the shirts from SM Bass.

I wouldnt want to spend to much on shirts for sea Midge, as theres always the risk one of the engineers does something to the fresh water supply while your shirts are in the wash (draining down a tank too far until the sediment appears) - Not a good outcome, shades of yellowy brown on my shirts...
                          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

If you want the absolute best uniform shirts these are here : http://www.glendinnings.com.au/index...&product_id=34

They are far from cheap and it's worth getting a few people together to buy to save on shipping but the ones I bought in 2003 are still looking fantastic and are well known in the cruise industry for looking good and not creasing easily.

I'm in no way affiliated to this shop by the way!
                            Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Len Beck was SM Bass' s top guy before old Mr Bass sold up. Not sure what SMB are like since the move I still go to Len Beck.......but then I try not to wear uniform too often
                              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Working...
                              X