Tax ... and all that jazz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax ... and all that jazz.

Well I know everybody hates the Taxman , weather or not you pay it up front and claim back or pay none at all.

Basically I am now working on cruise ships and will be spending easily 6+ months out of the country.

To claim back the tax I pay do I need any of the 'Outside 12'nm' or draft mark paperwork I needed when I was working in the North Sea?

I'm happy enough paying N.I. and not being able to claim any of that...

OR , do I simply just fill in a SED form and put in photo copies of my discharge book and flight tickets etc to show I was outside the UK? Also a possible letter from the company confirming the ship works abroad?

Any info would be great - especially from people who have claimed back on cruise ships before!

Thanks

Also , while we're at it - I seen somebody mention something about new National Insurance info?

Comment

Also just realised this is in anonymous ... could somebody move to Qualified? My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
        OR , do I simply just fill in a SED form and put in photo copies of my discharge book and flight tickets etc to show I was outside the UK?
        You will need to complete a tax self-assessment (quickest and easiest way is online). There is no specific "SED form", it's just another box in the self-assessment. There is no requirement to provide evidence to support a SED claim unless HMRC ask for it.

Comment

Complete sidetrack, but why the move to cruise ships?
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by hiho123 View Post
            Complete sidetrack, but why the move to cruise ships?
            Mix of things ; Boredom , change of scenery , not wanting another north sea winter , girlfriend was moving abroad for 6 months so didn't want to stay home alone.

Comment

Fair enough, was it easy to move over?

Comment

Yeah , got offered 2 cruise jobs within about 3 months of applying give or take. I did have over 6 months OOW experience though.

Comment

Who did you get a job with if you dont mind me asking ?

Comment

ah awesome, definitely considering cruise ships once qualified, you'll have to let me know what it's like from an offshore perspective!

Comment

It's a lot different to offshore but overall I enjoyed my first trip.

Comment

Hi Bobofinga, I work on cruise ships, with regards to tax may I suggest S K Tax services (google it for contact details) they do everything for you. Well worth the money as recently I was faced with a ?7,000 tax bill and they sorted it out for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X