Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Passing Out Ceremony, who attends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Passing Out Ceremony, who attends?

I posted this question over in the Warsash Forum but have had no answers yet so I thought I would ask the qualified amongst you.

At your college passing out ceremony who attended? Is it primarily for you and your fellow cadets to get dressed up and have a good night or is it expected that family and friends come, like a graduation thing?

I ask, as the Warsash one this year clashes with something else I was planning to do. So, do I rearrange things so I can go to the ceremony or carry on regardless, as cadets don't really want their parents to go anyway?

Please give me an insight to the etiquette of these things!

Jac

College Passing Out Ceremony, who attends?

Parents are definitely expected. Each cadet can buy two or three additional tickets and they sell out very quickly.

There are official presentations, awards and speeches, and a decent dinner.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
      Parents are definitely expected. Each cadet can buy two or three additional tickets and they sell out very quickly.

There are official presentations, awards and speeches, and a decent dinner.
      Hi , sorry for butting in I was just wondering
      What the cadets wear on their graduation is it the traditional gown or their sea uniform.
      I start Glasgow in august 2014 and very excited.

Comment

Gown. With a lot of companies (probably the majority) you don't even wear uniform at sea anymore so you wouldn't have any sea uniform to wear.

Comment

At warsash it's formal mess dress that is worn by the cadets. Reps from companies attend as well as usually cadets parents - but again it's optional.

On a side note it's not mandatory to attend - several people, including me, choose not too.

If your at warsash there's photos of past ones in the coastguard building. Also it used to be arranged by the class reps at warsash not the college itself but that might have changed since 6-7 years ago.
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

At Warsash do you have to hire the mess kit or is it part of your general uniform that you get given down there or what?

My post was in relation to my own experience at Glasgow btw, the gowns get given to you free of charge and aye its not mandatory to attend but most of us did. There was free drink!

Comment

Can anyone comment on the Fleetwood experience?

Comment

South Tyneside has one with gowns and can be lumped together with the non-marine side of the college. To rub salt in the wound ours was on the same day as one of our SQAs, no-one I know went. I'd prefer if they had a ceremony similar to Warsash, a bit more traditional merchant navy rather than generic mass graduation.

Comment

Yeah ours was about 4 days before our orals. Still went, still got pissed.... still passed so its all good.

Comment

Working...
                  X