Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So..... This Security Awareness Certificate Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So..... This Security Awareness Certificate Thing?

Am I the only person in the World who didn't know about this?

Have just filled in some stupid questionnaire that my kids could have done which will supposedly get whisked of to the MPA (Singapore's MCA) who will issue me with a shiny new security awareness certificate without which I apparently cannot join a ship after 1st january.

I assume that cadets are getting these things at college before their first sea phase, what is everyone else doing, same silly questionnaire as me or are the MCA demanding a training course?

One of the questions was "have you performed security duties onboard", it's as well that the thing says that you have to answer yes or I would have put no.
    Go out, do stuff

I had to do a "Proficiency in designated security duties" Course after finishing College in October before joining a Ship for my 4th Phase.

I did the course through NMM(Sponsors) at their offices in Clydebank, a company called SecureScot ran the course which lasted from 9am-4pm with plenty breaks in between.

It appears that if you have 6 months Sea Service prior to January 2012 then you don't have to do the actual course. The certificate does not need to be re-validated unlike some of the other STCW courses.

Here's a link with some more Info: http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/min472-2.pdf
    Newly qualified Officer #ClubMember

Comment

The 6 months sea time thing explains why I only had to answer the Key Stage 2 quiz thingy then.

Seems like another pointless bit of paper to me, but I guess it's probably keeping a few beaurocrats in their overpaid jobs.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Yup, th Borg spent this year putting 6000+ people through it this year using Seagul.......it's in STCW 2010 I think.......
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Hopefully, I have a job lined up with the Borg pending the result of me going up to their office at Newcastle tomorrow, and passing a random selection of 10 of the 36 questions I answered as part of the Seagull thing earlier in the week, just to make sure I didn't cheat.

The really galling thing is that I've already done the Seagull thing when I was a cadet with Wilhelmsen aboard my last ship, I just didn't get the shiny certificate when I signed off for it, meaning I had to waste another two hours of my life that I'll never get back, and make a 360 mile round trip to Newcastle and back tomorrow. A pain in the arse for sure, but if it means I get a job out of it, then it's a hit worth taking I suppose.

Comment

good luck tomorrow ;-)
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I sat a the security course at south shields last year as part of my short courses I assume this covers me?
              Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
              Adapt and over come
              Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

I didn't fully understand from the MCA website whether as the holder of an SSO certificate I am exempt from these courses or not? Currently on a non-ISPS/non-ISM compliant vessel.

Comment

From what I understand if you have an SSO course then you are exempt and you only neeed it for vessels over 500gt engaged on international voyages.

Comment

Very pointless, what gets me is that while the guys I'm working with get it automatically from their home countries for having been at sea with 6months sea time or something and just sending off a form to their MCA.

To get one from the UK I need the seatime and for my company to have a UK approved ISM DoC and have been given permission to issue certficates... so that'll be me going on some nonsense course then because as a British seafarer with ISPS duties, and experience sailing in pirate areas I'm not qualified enough without this bit of paper... brilliant!

Comment

Can you not get a Norwegian cert? I'm getting a Singapore one which is apparently recognised by the UK.
                      Go out, do stuff

Comment

No, I don't think they would issue one to me as I understand from my company- they are very protectionist.

There is the seagull course, but I never have time onboard. The time to implement this security awareness thing was pretty damn short. Or at least I found out last trip onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
                          Very pointless, what gets me is that while the guys I'm working with get it automatically from their home countries for having been at sea with 6months sea time or something and just sending off a form to their MCA.
                          If you're referring to the Filipino's or FSU staff, they don't. According to our crewing folks, they have to do it as well as it's been a bit of a pain for them to get all of them to come in and do it....
                          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                            If you're referring to the Filipino's or FSU staff, they don't. According to our crewing folks, they have to do it as well as it's been a bit of a pain for them to get all of them to come in and do it....
                            No, I'm not referring to Filippino crew. They've been sent on the course, which is good as 50% of our Filippino crew onboard had copied each others CBT test and as a result the other 50% failed too. Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
                              No, I'm not referring to Filippino crew. They've been sent on the course, which is good as 50% of our Filippino crew onboard had copied each others CBT test and as a result the other 50% failed to. Oops.
                              How did they manage that? Surely it's one person on the CBT comp at a time?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
                              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                              X