Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSTO Training / Regulation. Opinions needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSTO Training / Regulation. Opinions needed please!

Hello

Calling all Officers,both Deck and Engineering, Chief Engineers and Masters!

I am a recently qualified Deck Officer, currently carrying out a dissertation on the role of the Designated Shipboard Training Officer (DSTO).

Please could you spare 2 minutes to fill out a completely anonymous, online questionnaire. (It is very quick, mainly yes/no questions), the results of which should help improve the training of UK deck cadets.

This link explains my project on more detail. I would REALLY appreciate your input. Share to as many people as you can, I'm hoping the results will benefit everyone involved!

Many thanks,

Ewan Thomson

Survey can be found at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Jdv...ecOWw/viewform

doing....ermmm actually no i arent, wont load on the ships net connection, your back ground graphic seems to be making the page HUGE (datawise)

Any chance you can just use plain white or similar, on a ****y ships connection less really is more...thx ;-)
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

whats wrong with survey monkey, much better for our low bandwidth internet at sea?
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Hi

I have changed it to a plain background.

Let me know if you're still having problems accessing it.

Many thanks,

Ewan

Comment

done and much improved :-)
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

I don't know if i'd take on the job of DSTO just yet, but I'd enjoy having a cadet to teach the ways of the world etc I just think the mate and 2nd are in a good position because they are dishing out the jobs for the relevant department for that day, so they know when the good stuff's happening.

Comment

but a 4th or 3rd is also good to do the teaching, the DSTO admin and signing can be higher ups
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
                I don't know if i'd take on the job of DSTO just yet, but I'd enjoy having a cadet to teach the ways of the world etc I just think the mate and 2nd are in a good position because they are dishing out the jobs for the relevant department for that day, so they know when the good stuff's happening.
                I think it would be great to have a cadet show up one day in a uniform that didn't look as if he'd been rolling about the gutter fighting tramps....

Anywho, I do think that there should be a slightly clearer "help pack" for the DSTO's, but to be honest, they should all know the score by now as nearly all the cadets from around the world show up with a work book of some description...
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                  but a 4th or 3rd is also good to do the teaching, the DSTO admin and signing can be higher ups
                  I agree, I think junior officers should be teaching the cadets and taking a more "hands on" approach to the training, while the DSTO plans the work

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                    I think it would be great to have a cadet show up one day in a uniform that didn't look as if he'd been rolling about the gutter fighting tramps....

Anywho, I do think that there should be a slightly clearer "help pack" for the DSTO's, but to be honest, they should all know the score by now as nearly all the cadets from around the world show up with a work book of some description...
                    \

Showing up with a workbook of some description is one thing, but knowing what needs to be signed, by who and the whys and when of what should be signed is another.

The new DVD that the MNTB supply is a good start.
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Any more takers!? I'm presenting my study at a Marine Conference in Plymouth so the more data I can collect the better. (Does anybody know of any other forums, especially foreign ones as I am short on data from other nationalities?)

Many thanks!

Ewan

Comment

Have you tried twitter? Loads of marine types on there
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Working...
                        X