Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Training Requirements

Hi guys,

I understand that thanks to rules brought in by the 2010 Manila STCW amendments, there's a new requirement for security training being brought into force from the 1st of January. This was sprung on us on the morning of my IAMI EK exam back in September, so understandably I had other things on my mind at the time, and I just sort of put that information on a back burner, so to speak. From what I recall, all that's required is a one day short course, which our sponsors were unwilling to pay for I might add, the name of which escapes me right now.

Does anyone happen to know what this mystery short course would be called?

Thanks.

Yep it's requirement, comes in Jan 1st, caused mayhem in the borg fleet as several 1000 people had to do it in next to no time!!!

However no idea what the course is called, but part of it required us to do security excercises and write them up to.

Odd the sponsor or supervising company arent paying for it though as it's a requirement
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

If its the course I'm thinking about, its a kind of half day really basic course.

I did all my short courses 2 months ago, and do recall them mentioning it was a recent addition to STCW. Although ours was more death by Powerpoint than doing exercises, apart for learning to search people.
      Ex-South Shields Cadet

Currently trying to pass exams...

Follow me on Instagram if you like pictures of coffee, bay plans and Jotun paint : @jacobontheground

Comment

Proficiency in Security Awareness

?50ish and 2-3 hours at Warsash
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I know for current cadets at Fleetwood they just said to us we'll do it before we leave and go for our Orals so not to worry about it. I imagine this would be the same for cadets at other Colleges?

Comment

you can also do it by Seagull CBT with a workbook of sorts to prove you didn't cheat.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

If you want to part with a spare ?630 you could do this course... http://www.stc.ac.uk/content/marine-...s-mca-approved

Comment

thats a different course, you only need to do the ?50, half day one.
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
                  If you want to part with a spare ?630 you could do this course... http://www.stc.ac.uk/content/marine-...s-mca-approved
                  And even then, for a simple SSO course, that is mahoooooooosively expensive!

I did a class/flag approved one with BV where I did the SSO, CSO and even PFSO bits for the wopping cost of ?400....
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                  X