Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big bob
    replied
    GES in the middle of the Indian Ocean in the middle of the night, oh and a MOB mid Atlantic! in **** Wx

Leave a comment:

• Inland Pirate
    replied
    Launched the spinnaker in what turned out to be a very bad move. Dislodged from under the toe straps on a wave, rolled over the top and met the rudder head first on the way down. Rudder won, knocked me out and woke up breathing the fine waters of southend end on sea.

Scariest part is that I got the boat back the right way up and sailed halfway home (Have no memory of any of this, filled in later by a passing cruiser) before thinking that everything seemed to hurt and there was a lot of blood lying about, not being very useful.

Credit to my instructors that I managed to do that and get the crew while pretty much on autopilot!

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied
    Originally posted by Clanky View Post
    I know, I know, I was young and foolish, obviously I wouldn't do anything like that now.

The missus would kill me.
    Good, you must be in the mostly sensible age now, then you get older and grumpier which is quite liberating!
    oh and to keep it on topic been demasted in a race, whilst crewing. Got hit by a twit on a huge yacht who should have given way, ( we were already moving to avoid) can still see a big blue bow pointing at my head whenever I think about it, horrible sound it caught our spreader then there were rigging wires pinging all over the place, various crunch sounds- silence, then frantic movements to get everything over the side back on board, sails wire etc checking for holes none luckily. Don't fancy that experience again.

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    Originally posted by Midge View Post
    Tut, tut Clanky. Respect for women?
    I know, I know, I was young and foolish, obviously I wouldn't do anything like that now.

The missus would kill me.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied
    Scariest thing ever to happen to me at sea was on a cruise ship once.......

I woke up beside this real horror from the pursers department, so bad that I considered chewing my arm off rather than risk waking her.

I eventually extricated my arm, groped around in the dark for my clothes (having made sure that they really were mine and not hers), crept towards the chink of light from under the door, very quitely opened the door, snuck out and very quitely closed the door again, only to realise that it was my cabin.

Sneaking into the officers' bar next door phoning the cabin and saying "I don't know who you are, but f**k off" and then hiding under the bar until I heard her storm down the alleyway, may not have been the most chivalrous thing to do, but it had the desired effect.

Tut, tut Clanky. Respect for women?

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied

I woke up beside this real horror from the pursers department, so bad that I considered chewing my arm off rather than risk waking her.

I eventually extricated my arm, groped around in the dark for my clothes (having made sure that they really were mine and not hers), crept towards the chink of light from under the door, very quitely opened the door, snuck out and very quitely closed the door again, only to realise that it was my cabin.

Sneaking into the officers' bar next door phoning the cabin and saying "I don't know who you are, but f**k off" and then hiding under the bar until I heard her storm down the alleyway, may not have been the most chivalrous thing to do, but it had the desired effect.
    Brilliant....

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Silvertop
    replied
    First trip to sea we left Japan straight into a typhoon, I was chucking my guts up all over the place!! Nearly quit there and then, although had no way of actually getting off the ship!! The fact that we were on a bulk carrier and everyone one was winding up about them not liking bad weather made it worse!! I'm sure I went to bed in my lifejacket, not that it would have helped!!

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    Well I'm from ol' harmless Brighton but that would be flat out stupid if I thought something life threatening was there.

My dad and I were in San Diegon waters on holiday haha. Which as you may know has shark infested areas..

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Brendan View Post
    Dunno if this counts but once when I was fishing with my dad we were out quite far from land when we suddenly felt something bump roughly into the side of our boat and with that we saw a fin which to be fair could've been a dolphin but it still scared the living rainbows out of us! :O
    Where are you based?

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    Dunno if this counts but once when I was fishing with my dad we were out quite far from land when we suddenly felt something bump roughly into the side of our boat and with that we saw a fin which to be fair could've been a dolphin but it still scared the living rainbows out of us! :O

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    In terms of piracy, we sail in piracy waters almost continuously, however we are much more prepared then most vessels... I do recall as a cadet being on a general cargo vessel chased by pirates near to Yemen and know how worrying it was.

Leave a comment:

• Frenchy
    replied
    Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
    I think we need to know who your employer is and get a mugshot of yourself so we all know to run when we spot you coming!

Bloody hell....
    My last trip was entirely uneventful you will all be glad to know.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenchy View Post
    So far I have been chased by pirates in the Red Sea, sailed through two typhoons, had a tsunami pass under us in the Pacific, we were the first ship into Japan after Fukushima nuclear disaster and were later told by the company not to let the crew on deck, (after we had just finished a 12 hour cargo watch), I have experienced a HO oil spill, a death of an AB on board, the rolling of an oil tanker to 35 degrees in a beam sea, a collision with a supertanker that was 7 times our tonnage whilst we were carrying AVGAS that ended up with us being declared unseaworthy by LLoyds and requiring us to enter dry dock and have 750 tonnes of steel replaced and I have been on a ship that ran out of food whilst crossing the Indian Ocean.

I still love my job however.
    I think we need to know who your employer is and get a mugshot of yourself so we all know to run when we spot you coming!

Bloody hell....

Leave a comment:

• geordie dancer
    replied
    Can't black cat Frenchy.

Witnessed a rating fall two decks down the square of the hatch ship during my first week on board. Miraculously, he wasn't seriously hurt (he landed on a pile of dunnage) but at the time I thought I had just watched someone die.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X