Manila Amendments Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manila Amendments Question

So, as we all know the Manila Amendments are gradually starting to enter force now...

I have been looking but can't seem to find a specific answer; The courses below are required to be renewed every 5 years under the new regulations - so my question, given that most UK organisations have previously issued certificates with no expiry date, what date do these now effectively expire?

Only reference I can find in an MGN/MIN is that in order to renew CoC's after 1st of January 2017 you need to have valid certificates issued in last 5 years.
    • Personal Survival Techniques
    • Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
    • Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
    • Advanced Fire Fighting
    • Fast Rescue Boat
    • Medical Care (not Manila amendments but EU requirement)
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/min469.pdf
    Is a good one to read.

As of the 1st January 2017 you're STCW Basic certification must be renewed on a 5 yearly basis, this is independent of the requirement for them to be within 5 years for your CoC. So effectively whilst the certificates don't have an expiry date, if Port State Control came on board on the 2nd January 2017 and found your certificates older then 5 years old even thought your CoC was valid, there would be trouble ahead.

Essentially if you have enough seatime and complete the forms in the attached MGN you will able to do a 3 day refresher course covering PST, Fire Fighting and PSSC.

Comment

I actually am in the belief, the idea is, you just need them by the time you renew your CoC after 1st January 2017, even if thats a long time after, due to the fact they will need to spread the transition period out, they won't want everyone renewing their fire fighting in 2016, as otherwise there will be over booking and problems at training centres, every 5 years, from 2016, for the next 30 or 40 odd years.

Comment

Working...
      X