Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• futther Education

Hello,

Has anyone put any thought into going on and studying more marine related subjects after getting their coc.

I have been looking around the open university websites for topics and wanted to know what you all thought.

Thanks.
    "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
    the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
    the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
    or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
    start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Haha wow how far are you into your cadetship? I think you'll be knackered at the end of it and will want a loooong break before going back to school again. It seems like an intense 3 years just getting the coc IMO...

Comment

I've considered the OU partly as with no current higher tickets for ETO's it may be a good way of adding a difference between me and others.

Personally I would consider business or management type things over a further engineering top up, as if I wish to work ashore it would more likely be in a management role and hopefully the qualifications/ experience would provide enough engineering back ground for that. while actually managing real world things isn't actually well covered when working on a ship.

the other track is different professional qualifications, which would be more along the lines of short courses.
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

For management, the chartered institute of management courses are better recognised than most management degrees.

Both stc and warsash offer engineering top up degrees, beng hons. The warsash course has more management in it whereas the stc one is more technical by the looks of it.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

To hijack the thread a little, what's it like for the Deck side? Obviously there's professional qualifications, but are there any degree type ones as well? Other than management, business - something that turns a foundation degree into a masters degree, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
            To hijack the thread a little, what's it like for the Deck side? Obviously there's professional qualifications, but are there any degree type ones as well? Other than management, business - something that turns a foundation degree into a masters degree, for example?
            A lot of the Deck Side chaps I know are all off studying MBA's...
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
              Haha wow how far are you into your cadetship? I think you'll be knackered at the end of it and will want a loooong break before going back to school again. It seems like an intense 3 years just getting the coc IMO...
              I have just sat my IAMI's and am due to sit my oral soon. So im nearly finished...
              "My Job"

the boat's allowed to go

or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing

Comment

Originally posted by jcwilson91 View Post
                Hello,

Has anyone put any thought into going on and studying more marine related subjects after getting their coc.

I have been looking around the open university websites for topics and wanted to know what you all thought.

Thanks.
                Once you have your EOOW CoC start revising for your 2nd Engineers unlimiteds, and get as much sea time as possible. Don't worry about any Open University courses, or such, until you have passed your unlimited 2nds and Chiefs, if you do 4 months on, 2 months leave, you will have the sea time before you know it, and there is plenty to revise. Exam questions are up on the South Tyne Side college website, and you can crack on with revising from books.

Comment

cheers dosed. You recommend getting the complete reed's volumes?
                  "My Job"

the boat's allowed to go

or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing

Comment

Working...
                  X