No announcement yet.

who drives the tenders on cruise ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who drives the tenders on cruise ships?

is it the navigation officers? or is tender driver a specific job onboard?

Depends on the company. With P&O Cruises the tenders are generally driven by the third officers and the four deck petty officers, with support from the deck crew. On Cunard, the tenders are driven by the deck crew.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Tenders can also be provided by the port. As to whose driving them and what qualifications they have god knows.

Comment

If you show enthusiasm and listen to instructions well as a cadet, you could probably get some good opportunities to drive them. Very good for learning the basics of boat handling and essentially the fundementals when it comes to ship handling (Sort of). Surprising how many officers are absolutely awful at boat handling...

Comment

What YM said - a lot of people don't realise a full tender of 120 people is quite a responsibility and handles differently to a empty boat.
          Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Yeah I know a few cadets with cruise lines that got to drive them.

Comment

As others have said it varies by company - in our case the QMs and cadets drive them.
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
              X