X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EH75
    • May 2010

CV Writing

I know there have been threads about this in the past, but because "CV" is too short for the search box it is a bit difficult to locate them. Anyway, since I passed my orals recently I figure I should probably start applying for jobs and that obviously requires me to write a CV. I do have one but I don't think it is particularly good at the moment and given that what we do is not your run of the mill job I'm not sure about how to go about ordering it, how to list certificates etc.

So at the moment I have

Name, address all that stuff.

Personal statement: 3-4 lines about how amazing I am and how I am looking to work in whatever sector of the industry I am applying to.

Emplyoment history: Not really sure how much to include here. At the moment I have my cadetship and the vessels (and dates I served on) then my 3 previous land based jobs with about 3-4 lines of description for each. That goes back to 2007. I could go further but not sure if that is necessary.

Thats all on the first page

On the second page:

Eduction history: so college with my HND and here I have also listed my OOW unlimited and STCW certificates but not sure if I should put that somewhere else. Also, should you list all your certificates individually? Or could you just put "all required OOW level STCW certificates"? Should you list certificate numbers and expiry dates? After all that I put my school qualifications

Hobbies and interests: Just bullet pointed a few lines of stuff I get up to occasionally in my spare time

Referees: Self explanatory.

Thats it. Not sure if theres anything I should omit or add in?

I know there are a few people on here who have a decent amount of experience with this sort of thing and any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
  • size4riggerboots
    • March 2010

Hatchorder, one for you m'dear!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• HarmlessWeasel
      • November 2012

I've read somewhere (possibly on here) that you shouldn't put certificate numbers due to people copying them etc. Obviously I'm no authority thoufh

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

• GuinnessMan
        OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
        • April 2010

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
        I've read somewhere (possibly on here) that you shouldn't put certificate numbers due to people copying them etc. Obviously I'm no authority thoufh

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
        Don't put numbers or copies on a CV! Fraud risk!

Oi! Hatchorder! Come on!
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• EH75
          • May 2010

Ok so numbers are out. But would you list the certificates individually with expiry dates etc yeah?

Comment

• size4riggerboots
            • March 2010

Just list the major qualifications, i.e. OOW, GMDSS etc, no real need to put EDH, etc as you can't get your OOW without them!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

• Hatchorder
              OC's Resident CV Guru
              • May 2012

*puts underpants on top of trousers*

Right - step aside you lot - the cavalry is here!

Ok - first things first you need to take the whole thing apart and concentrate on one bit at a time.

If you need help send me a pm and I will help you - but be warned I can be a bit brutal - it is for your own good though! I am sure there are a few people who will attest to that.

The offer is there - feel free to take me up on it.

Ian
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

• size4riggerboots
                • March 2010

I would take him up on that offer, he's not known as OC's Resident CV Guru for nothing!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Working...
                X