Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris
    replied
    Good to hear, I'll get applying to them then.

Leave a comment:

• Pilot Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by chris View Post
    I'm thinking about working on Cruise ships and just wondering if the Costa differences extend to the Princess fleet as they have quite a few Italian officers in the engineering dept.
    I did many years with Princess and they are NOTHING like costa, yes lots of Italians but most of them are very professional.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    I'm thinking about working on Cruise ships and just wondering if the Costa differences extend to the Princess fleet as they have quite a few Italian officers in the engineering dept.

Leave a comment:

• Pilot Chris
    replied
    IMHO - the whole thing from incident to report is a car crash! How Costa operated so differently to the rest of the Carnival brands (except Carnival Cruises) is beyond me!

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    I've finally got round to reading the report, its certainly not upto the MAIB standard. Its billed as the final report but should really be an interim one.

The section on the emergency generator and its faulty circuit breaker makes for interesting reading. Very strange how it wasn't picked up in the full load test they apparently had a few days before the casualty.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindawood
    I have some idea about these Concordia reports and it's one of the best written report which i have read, but it need some correction on management and maintain the standard of the ship. I use to watch video on this whenever I'm free here at age home you know when you get old and live in some aged home you have so much time for these activities.
    What on earth are you smoking? Can I have some?

The report misses major points and there is no causation analysis....

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    As with MAIB reports, the purpose of this report is not to apportion blame, hance why no finger pointing, however, for me the report makes clear the failings in the decision making in the navigation prior to the collision and in the evacuation.

What I feel has been glossed over is the oversight by both company and flag, while the root cause of the accident was poor decision making onboard there are obviously failings in the system which allowed this to happen. Costa Cruciere painted a picture in the media of a one off incident by a maverick captain, whereas there seems to be evidence of a systematic failure to ensure that the vessels where navigated in a safe and seamanlike manner, this doesn't seem to have been addressed at all. The only criticism of the company seems to have been the immediate actions (or lack thereof) of the DPA.

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    In the words of the better half - part of the judicial system of this country - a comment she usually uses in court........ "I hope he has brought his toothbrush"

Spent a couple of days wading through the report - English standard forgiven - and it really does gloss over the main cause of the accident - the action of the personnel on the bridge. It never actually points the finger and say "He did it". The fact you have a helmsman who either does not understand the language spoken on the bridge, or is deaf, and cannot tell the difference between port and starboard does not help the matter! But there are a few others who should be sharing in the cell time, The Officers on the Bridge, Hotel Director, other Deck Officers who failed in the emergency as well as a few land based company staff who failed to see lax procedures etc. They didn't even have the right chart for heavens sake!

A sorry state of affairs and one that should lead to some serious jail time in my opinion - "death by dangerous driving" for a start.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    Quite a difficult report to read with some odd, unsual and incorrect statements by the investigators, but overall gives a picture of what happened. I felt physically sick reading the report and the just continous stream of failings and then to read that the youngest to die was a 6 year old child (the same age as my eldest).

Very little focus has been on the management and how they have failed to maintain a certain standard on these ships; the route to promotion and the behaviour and professionalism on the bridge seem to be far different to that at many of the sister companies within the Carnival Corp, particularly those under Carnival UK.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by HolyNougat View Post
    http://www.safety4sea.com/images/med...ion_Report.pdf

I hope Scettino likes bread and water...
    Aye, I've been reading the actual report. It's not the best written report I've ever seen, but the narrative is good and explains what happened when. The only thing they didn't do, in my opinion, is look into deeper into the human factors or the direct and root causes.

Either way, after reading that, Schettino is up that creek we all know so well without a paddle...

Leave a comment:

• HolyNougat
    started a topic Concordia Full Report

Concordia Full Report

http://www.safety4sea.com/images/med...ion_Report.pdf

I hope Scettino likes bread and water...
Working...
X