X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobofinga
    • June 2010

Joining a New Build

Just been informed by my company im being shifted onto a new build for my next contract. Joining the ship just after sea trials etc.

Was just wondering if any1 has any relevant information or tips regarding new builds as this would be the first time i've been involved in this process?

Its a platform supply vessel DP-2 , I'll be joining as a 2nd officer with another 2nd , C/O and Master.
  • GuinnessMan
    OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    • April 2010

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
    Just been informed by my company im being shifted onto a new build for my next contract. Joining the ship just after sea trials etc.

Was just wondering if any1 has any relevant information or tips regarding new builds as this would be the first time i've been involved in this process?

Its a platform supply vessel DP-2 , I'll be joining as a 2nd officer with another 2nd , C/O and Master.
    Aye, don't fecking break anything or crash into anything! Superintendent's get really unhappy when you do things like that....
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• YoungMariner
      • April 2011

You will probably have to setup all the system, so take as much useful stuff from the computer hard drive of your vessels now, become very familiar with the setup and replicate it when you join.
      It can be hard work setting everything up for a first time. Good experience though, shame you can't be around for sea trials (maybe you could request that?).

Comment

• laura
        • February 2013

New build... if you've got a good system on something on your last few ships... implement it on the new build, I find that most ships systems have been there since day one (even the trivial things: cabin allocation, chart corrections, coffee times, computer records) set in stone after the first trip. You know all your 2nd mate stuff try and get it up and going, bin the dross! Just saying that because after transferring ship you always find small things and be like 'who thought this up!', now's your chance to get your Frankenstein in place!

Wish I had a new build... have spent so many hours chiselling my previous back to back's 'Swedish tennis lady pictures' off the bulkheads in my cabin... sigh... nice clean tennis free bulkheads that's all I ask for!

Comment

• bobofinga
          • June 2010

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals , joining the ship in a little over a week. Managed to get some different stuff off the system on my last ship from my back to back and what not so that'll help. Really quite excited for this trip , should be good experience and something different is always fun!

Comment

• laura
            • February 2013

Hope the trip goes well, definitely sounds like a great experience and plenty to do! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X