How long to ho from EOOW to chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to ho from EOOW to chief

So I've got a cadetship offer. Was wondering how long is standard to be sent back to college to take your next set of exams and progress. do companies do this as soon as you are eligible or wait a while? Does ship type make a difference?

Cheers

Originally posted by pete View Post
    So I've got a cadetship offer. Was wondering how long is standard to be sent back to college to take your next set of exams and progress. do companies do this as soon as you are eligible or wait a while? Does ship type make a difference?

Cheers
    It depends on how good you are at your job and if the company can do it financially or not.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

MGN 93 details the sea service required for each Certificate of Competency - Engine Department.

However, the overall timeline will be different depending on the work to leave ratio that you will work. Obviously if you work 3 on 3 off, then you will only be at sea half the time, therefore, 12 months sea time would take 24 months approximately.

As for companies sending you back, they might not. You might have to apply for study leave in advance, you might have to study in your leave. It depends on the company.
      Forum Admin

Comment

In theory, if you work 4 months on / 2 months off, then if you qualify at 21 you could have the sea time in for your second engineer's certificate when you are 23 and for your chief's when you are 26.

Not all companies pay for you to go to college and if they do then there can be a waiting list, as an engineering cadet you normally leave college with exemptions from all of the academic subjects for second's and chief's so that you only need to go back and do a six week course for engineering knowledge, 2 written papers and an oral exam, which means that it is possible, both financially and time wise to do the tickets off your own bat.

While there is no huge rush to get these tickets as most companies are unlikely to employ you as chief at 26, many companies will pay you a ticket bonus (typically 5%) for having a certificate higher than you actually need so it can be financially worthwhile to have the certificate even if you don't get to do the job straight away.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
        X