Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing Unlimited COC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Renewing Unlimited COC

    Hi everyone, a quick question for those more experienced than I. I've had my unlimited OOW ticket since august 2010 and after spending a year finishing my degree have been doing 5 weeks on/off on a vessel of 2,966gt.

    Will i be able to renew my unlimited ticket if i continue to sai lon this ship? i'm not sure how strict the MCA are or what other factors may affect it.

    Thanks

    John

  • #2
    Sea service should normally be performed on merchant ships of at least 24 metres in length or not less than 80gt proceeding to sea.
    MGN 92.

    The size or trading area of the vessels you are employed on have little to do with CoC eligibility.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Steve, I had a look at MGN 92, which lead me on to MGN 009 which is about revalidation. I barely know what COC class I hold never mind what i need to revalidate it, I do now though. Thanks again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve View Post
        MGN 92.

        The size or trading area of the vessels you are employed on have little to do with CoC eligibility.
        Whats the point of limited tonnage tickets then?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          Whats the point of limited tonnage tickets then?
          Different academic and orals syllabi. Compare: http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-hom...s-deckoral.htm

          For example, OOW near-coastal doesn't cover celestial navigation.

          Comment


          • #6
            Who ofers course following the syllabi. I have never seen them advertised anywhere or meet anyone doing them?

            Comment


            • #7
              Self improves coming from Rating to Mates on standby vessels, or <3000gt Yacht Officers will often have limited tickets due to the relative ease of gaining them. I know quite a few guys on smaller <3000gt yachts who have unlimited OOW tickets from a cadetship with the cruise lines then just continued down the 3000gt ticket route to Master.
              For initial and revalidation of Unlimited CoCs it doesn't matter as long as you meet the requirements that Steve quoted.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AncientMariner View Post
                Self improves coming from Rating to Mates on standby vessels, or <3000gt Yacht Officers will often have limited tickets due to the relative ease of gaining them. I know quite a few guys on smaller <3000gt yachts who have unlimited OOW tickets from a cadetship with the cruise lines then just continued down the 3000gt ticket route to Master.
                For initial and revalidation of Unlimited CoCs it doesn't matter as long as you meet the requirements that Steve quoted.
                I understand that the size of the vessel has little to do with your eligibility for higher tickets, but I have heard of people who have done all of their seatime since OOW on super yachts being given a harder time at their mates because of their lack of "proper ship experience", not sure how much truth is in this though?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Depends who is conducting the exam. It's possible an orals examiner may focus more on cargo operations in the knowledge the candidate is solely from yachts. It is an unlimited ticket and the examiner has to be satisfied that the candidate knows enough to work anywhere with his certificate. It's no good awarding an unlimited COC to someone who has no knowledge whatsoever of anything beyond the deck of a super yacht.

                  The same could be said for cadets serving exclusively on cruise ships.

                  How hard a time you have in the exams depends on how well the candidate prepares for the exam. You can never have in depth knowledge beyond your experience but it is possible to have a good knowledge base on a wide range of vessel types and operations.

                  To boldly go.....
                  Forum Administrator
                  OfficerCadet.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                    I understand that the size of the vessel has little to do with your eligibility for higher tickets, but I have heard of people who have done all of their seatime since OOW on super yachts being given a harder time at their mates because of their lack of "proper ship experience", not sure how much truth is in this though?
                    The examiner can look for your weaknesses and explore them to determine whether you have at least the minimum level of knowledge to be considered competent.

                    Examiners like asking about things that they are comfortable with, sometimes with some regard to the candidate's experience, sometimes not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think those with yacht time going for unlimited tickets get the same treatment as others, and like Randomist says you are expected to know all the cargo related and legal aspects like anyone else, there is no easy way through the unlimited tickets as you are free to sail on any ship type once you have it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am currently working on vessels <3000GT and I am planning to sit my Chief Mates next year. I have previous OOW experience on vessels up to 113,000GT.
                        Can anybody clarify whether or not I would qualify for an unlimited Chief Mates ticket? My understanding of MGN92 is that all Chief Mate tickets are Class II/2 and therefore no difference between limited and unlimited ...

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X