Mates Exemption - FD Cadets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mates Exemption - FD Cadets

What's the status of the exemption from the SQAs for those who did the Foundation Degree. Have any FD students now qualified as mates?

Interesting to know the latest, the SQAs are the toughest exams I've ever done.

See this recent post: http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...ll=1#post53198

Comment

I still can't believe that some people have got through without doing the SQA's, it certainly was a challenge and can't see how peoples knowledge at that level could ever be properly tested without doing them! Although I remember incidental evidence that when they went up for orals some of them got a grilling!

I don't want to come across too bitter and twisted though!
      Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Well, I'm in two minds about the issue, but undoubtably the SQAs are a filter to prevent weak candidates getting any further.

Comment

Given the fact that it can be many years before you progress from OOW to C/O I personally think being exempt from everything but the oral exam is a little rediculous, ok fair enough you have to pass a grilling but surely it's a risk to the name of the UK ticket?

Im not having a pop at the FD cadets, it's not their fault and I certainly wouldn't hold it against them if they managed to exploit this plause. But surely there will be many things you just don't do as OOW but will be much more likely to come across them as mate and would be much better prepared for that after the traditional mates course than just a 6 week oral prep.

From where I sit it looks like we are saying that the FD cadets are ready to be mates straight out of college. Also seems curious to me that the FD cadets don't have to do SQAs again but those he did the degree do, thus the higher qual being worth less...

Am I off base here or are people thinking on similar lines?

I know this doesn't answer your actual question but I saw it as an opportunity to hear other readers views...

Spence
          www.the-mariner.co.uk

If you would like to ask any questions please comment on my blog or you can email
          [email protected] and I will be happy to help if I can.

Comment

It seems ridiculous, however, I think there will be a divide of opinion between those of us on the other side of the mates course and those who still have to do it.
            i recall a similar debate about the NVQ level 4 route for The chief mates, which was also considered to be an easy option... At least that route did involve a great deal of work at chief mates level.
            Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Why cant their be a middle ground. PD/FD student should study subjects like stability, marine law etc to a level more advanved than required for mates ticket and get an exemption. This makes more sense to me than the pointless management speak courses we do.

Comment

Typical seafarer problems

Dont like it -moan about it, can't fix it? Moan some more... Then moan about it in the bar, I agree there will split opinions, it would be hard not to be at least a little annoyed to do a 6 month mates course as opposed to 6,weeks but we can't change it, at least until there is an accident....

Apparently the full time degree was conducted to a standard of masters, but I for one will be happy to have a refresh as its been awhile since I studied law etc.
                www.the-mariner.co.uk

If you would like to ask any questions please comment on my blog or you can email
                [email protected] and I will be happy to help if I can.

Comment

So what is the score with this now - I seem to recall someone saying that this would be changed, but apparently not?
                  Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Working...
                  X