X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningbowline
    • August 2012

Top-up Degree?

Having done the Professional Diploma in marine operations (or Foundation degree in England) I was thinking about doing the Top up degree to make it into a fully blown degree.

Has anyone done this top-up degree? I know it involves three months in college followed by doing some kind of project... but has anyone on here done it? Some first hand details would be nice.

I know you can do it at Solent University, but is there anywhere else you can do it?
  • HolyNougat
    • February 2012

I have not done this one myself, by a good friend of mine dropped out of writing the dissertation because he was disappointed by the lack of support offered at WMC, that said I would say that getting a degree is always a good idea...
    Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

• TheRowan
      • June 2011

I believe you can also do it at Liverpool John Moore's, but it's a longer course there.
      OOW, Chart. Last fix, f*ckin' awful fix, puts us at worst two miles port of track, on Greenock High Street, just outside Woolies.

Comment

• noworries182
        • May 2011

I went to LJMU but did the full 4 year course there. i'm not sure if you could go onto the final year BSc stage without having passed certain exams in 3rd year. all i can tell you is it is like a full blown degree not like college, the dissertation is taken extremely seriously and is to be done to a very high standard, we were encouraged to travel and conduct interviews with companies or over the phone and conduct various surveys and questionnaires just to reach a 2:1 level. There are very few people on the course in LJMU however and if you ring them up i'm sure they will do all they can to accommodate you. With this degree and a small amount of experience at sea my friend was able to land a junior safety officer role at a local shipping company and is not training to be a super intendant. so it can be helpful. best of luck to you and i hope you find somewhere =]

Comment

• Ares
          • September 2010

I'm at Plymouth on the FD at the moment and they offer the chance to do the top up there.

Ps TheRowan I like your sig - I'm from Greenock

Comment

• Ducki52
            • November 2011

What sort of subjects would your dissertation be on?
            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

• gadget123
              • October 2010

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
              What sort of subjects would your dissertation be on?
              They can be pretty much anything to do with the shipping industry. Popular subjects tend to be related to safety,new technology, or environmental issues but there are a lot of other options too.

Comment

• waverider
                • December 2011

I transferred from a nautical college to a LJMU to complete my top-up. I'm enjoying it and I think getting the full degree will be worth it if I decide to come ashore later in my career or progress into ship management.

The downside is the work load, I only have 10-11 hours of lecture time a week, however the amount of extra work and reading required to get a good pass (say 2:1 - 60% of more) is considerable. There is a 15-18,000 work dissertation to do, of which you must conduct all your own research. There is very little support from the tutors, unlike nautical college, which means you rely on the good nature of the lecturer or your course mates if stuck.

On the upside however, I get to live in one of the best cities in the country, I live in the halls of residence so I get the university lifestyle to go with it, it's helped develop my skills as a professional and has ultimately opened extra doors should I decide I do not want to spend the rest of my life at sea, or even within the maritime industry. (There are literally hundreds of graduate schemes in all industries that will accept a good pass in the nautical science degree).

I have no regrets.

Comment

• mak
                  • March 2011

just as a matter of interest, what are the fees like?

Comment

• Lewis
                    • December 2010

Originally posted by HolyNougat View Post
                    I have not done this one myself, by a good friend of mine dropped out of writing the dissertation because he was disappointed by the lack of support offered at WMC, that said I would say that getting a degree is always a good idea...
                    Did he at least get a degree out of it without honours?

Comment

• waverider
                      • December 2011

If you started at Fleetwood before September 2013 then the fees at LJMU are ?3.5k. Otherwise check with the university itself...

Comment

• AlternativeNavs
                        • August 2010

I completed my top up at Solent. It was definitely a marked step up from the FD course and a few 'truths' were hit home. Of course it takes effort, skill and hard work to complete it with a good grade but it is possible. This is evidenced by the fact that some pull out, some fail to complete assignments or put the effort it... this only adds to the weight the degree has towards future prospects and employability.

If you have the willingness and aspirations then go ahead... you wont be disappointed when you come away with a 1st!

Comment

• bobofinga
                          • June 2010

Whats the job prospects like after gaining your Degree? compared with working as a Deck Officer?

Comment

Working...
                          X