Cruise Ship Seatime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Ship Seatime

Can anybody shed any light on how sea time is calculated for cruise ship deckies?

For example if there are two OOW on watch at the same time does only the one taking the conn get the bridge watch keeping time or do both get it?

I would need approximately 18 months before sitting my chief mates, realistically how long would this take?

It's calculated as watch-keeping time the same as anywhere else.

It's true requirement to sit chief officer's orals is to have 18 months of experience in sole charge of a navigational watch, however there are plenty of cruise ship officers sailing who worked their way from cadet through a 'junior' officer position and then into chief mates to become a senior watch-keeper under the dual watch-keeper system.

To boldly go.....
    Forum Administrator
    OfficerCadet.com

Comment

This was discussed recently: http://www.officercadet.com/showthre.../5229-Sea-time

Comment

What about jobs like safety or environmental officer etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          What about jobs like safety or environmental officer etc?
          On most cruise vessels (at least those managed by the evil empire who I don't work for) any role above the second officer requires a masters licence (being a second officer requires chief officer licence). Most cruise vessels (not managed by the evil empire or the less evil empire) are solo watch keeping. Where the Environmental officer (who could also be an engineer - or even a non licensed deck/engine officer) is also a watch keeper.

Similarly the Safety officer could also be a watch keeper - although this tends to be unusual in the cruise industry.

However you have quite rightly identified a problem! One of which I may have, as chief officers with my present company are not watch keepers, and therefore I will potentially have issues when it comes to acquiring my masters licence.

On a side note, I have seen that the official example "sea service testimonials" provided by the MCA now have a section for dual watch keepers.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about it - enough people work on cruise ships and don't have issues!
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
            On a side note, I have seen that the official example "sea service testimonials" provided by the MCA now have a section for dual watch keepers.
            Different to MGN91?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Different to MGN91?
              Nah, it contains the changes - that was what I was referring too..

But on a side note, most cruise lines (and I guess companies) have their own format - if not you can make your own as long as it contains the necessary parts / information (something i've had to do for present company).
              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
              X