Seismic Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seismic Survey

I have been offered a job with WesternGeco on a seismic survey vessel.

Has anyone ever sailed on one, if so what are they like? whats the accommodation and working conditions like?

(Damn this forum for not letting me correct the spelling mistake in the title )

My friend works on a seismic survey vessel but as a seismic observer. His room is massive, he gets free use of internet and even free use of the satellite phone! Works on a 5 weeks on 5 weeks off basis and gets paid ridiculous money. Don't imagine it it being much different for an officer!

Comment

It does seem pretty decent, though i can imagine it being very boring.

Comment

Originally posted by thady View Post
        i can imagine it being very boring.
        More often than not boring = money.

Ps, fixed Sesmic

Comment

<3 thanks, that was really bugging me

Yeah its not amazing to start compared to the industry i did my cadetship in (ie DPO) starts at 145 a day for the first trip then 31k a year on contract, inc bupa, pension and other stuff thrown in on top.

Comment

31K plus that is pretty good, provided the leave is good of course.

What's the leave ratio?

Comment

5/5 so pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                31K plus that is pretty good, provided the leave is good of course.

What's the leave ratio?

That wage would be pretty nice if you were guaranteed you tax back. But if you have to pay tax... its a kind of poor salary for a British second mate, below what you can get elsewhere.

Comment

Yeah its tax free, its not to bad for a first trip as a officer

Comment

Tax free from them or you actually going to be out the country? Maersk pay you tax free no matter where you work and it's up to you to sort it out.

Anyways if it is.......nice one fella :-)
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Yeah i shouldnt have a problem getting my days. The first year is taxed because westerngeco is a uk based company and apparently for some reason the gov tax it. I can claim it all back and the following years are tax free. I dont really understand it fully yet

Comment

Ahhh, no you are confused however we can help :-)

Your company is UK based therefore deduct PAYE (tax) at source and will do so until they arent UK based.

You go to sea and meet the tax rules for SED then apply for your tax back. Then you do the same every year, you are effectively putting your tax away and getting it back in a lump sum annually.

You can claim it back your self quite easily or be like me and use a tax accountant....look in telegraph, like Seatax, Mariner Tax etc, up to you really, ?200 is about the aannual rate but worth it if you don't like doing paperwork etc :-)
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Thanks for that. I was told that it would only be for the first year till they confirm me as a seaman.. Either way is good. A nice lump sum every year.

Comment

Never heard of that, as I say as they are uk company paying you from within the uk then they have to, by law, deduct paye at source, you then claim it back annually, it isn't a hard thing to do and yeah can be nice.....some of us are paid from outside uk therefore don't have tax deducted at source, however this has its own issues, like if you don't make the rules and they want some money off you for that year :-)

Either way you file a tax return annually and they then decide if you are good to go or not and either leave you alone or send a cheque :-)
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by The Steez View Post
                              My friend works on a seismic survey vessel but as a seismic observer. His room is massive, he gets free use of internet and even free use of the satellite phone! Works on a 5 weeks on 5 weeks off basis and gets paid ridiculous money. Don't imagine it it being much different for an officer!
                              'Good Seismic Is Boring Seismic' as I have heard many clients/ Party Managers/ Masters/ Various Crew say.

Once the Gear is in the water, it is up and down in lines, with the odd close pass/undershoot if you are doing a 4D job.

I have been in seismic for 2 years, I have enjoyed it so far, but for my company sponsoring me to do my mates, I would be exploring more engaging opportunities.

On the plus side the Accommodation is nice, 5 weeks on 5 Weeks off and good pay and benefits.

I should really have no reason to complain, but my objective is to work on Dive support/ROV/MPSV and that is where I will continue to build towards.

Comment

Working...
                              X