No announcement yet.

US Residential Visa

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US Residential Visa

    Hello! So I’ll cut to the chase, it’s a bit of a dream of mine to move to Florida (huge Disney fan, what can I say?!) I’m from England and I’m a qualified deck OOW working on cruise ships, does anyone know if I’d be able to get a residential visa? As I technically would not need to stay in the US for work but I do have a good qualification

  • #2
    Not that easy I’m afraid - you’d need a company that’s willing to sponsor your application for a green card and even then it’s a lot of hoops to jump through. Your also not technically allowed to depart from USA while your waiting on your permanent residence application being approved

    your best option to live there is to get a B1/2 visa which allows you entry for 6 months at a time but remain with your permanent residence in the UK (also for tax reasons)

    as UK citizens were not eligible for the “green card lottery”
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

    – Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.


    • #3
      One of my best mates moved to the States through marriage. It took a significant amount of time, interviews, paperwork and money. And that was with a legitimate route in. Trying to do it basically because you fancy it is likely to be even more difficult. Not trying to come over condescending or anything but it's not an easy thing to do. Then there are probably tax implications. I don't know much about that side of things but the IRS will probably want something out of you.


      • #4
        There are a few people on cruise ships who I knew lived there unofficially, but if they signed off in the states had to fly out of the country and fly back in.


        • #5
          Other option might be if your company has operations in the states (if its one of the big ones then I guess it probably does) try and wangle yourself a shore job in one of the American offices and get them to sponsor you for it. That might involve working quite high up the ranks before they will consider you though and maybe working shoreside in the UK for a while first.