Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre mates/master

hello,

I’m going back to study for my mates/masters and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or material that I should be reading. I don’t go back until September but want to get a head start and just make sure I’m not totally lost when I go back.

thanks all

Originally posted by Sgd View Post
    hello,

I’m going back to study for my mates/masters and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or material that I should be reading. I don’t go back until September but want to get a head start and just make sure I’m not totally lost when I go back.

thanks all
    The Hatchling is home on leave at the moment and he did his Mates at Warsash the first time and found the support was pants. After doing research and a Freedom Of Information request with the MCA I found they were getting worse down there and the rising star was Fleetwood. The Hatchling booked back into Fleetwood and paid for the course again and said the experience was chalk and cheese with Warsash. Copious and better notes at Fleetwood, facilities at Warsash were better but they have since moved so may be very different now, especially as the Library has partly been integrated into the Uni Library. Lectures were better at Fleetwood and more structured, Lecturers were available until late into the evening and prioritised Mates and Masters over CoC for time. Simulators were free to be used at Fleetwood a couple of nights a week, whereas at Warsash the Simulators were only used for courses. Private accommodation was cheaper in Fleetwood and there more facilities locally than out at the old Warsash Campus.

As for preparation. You don't need to be word perfect on rules, lights and shapes, but you must have a thorough knowledge of the contents of each rule. It is critical to have copies of all the certificates from your last vessel before your orals and ensure your seatime calculation is perfect and your Testimonials match your discharge book. 2 people got refused NOE's for these 2 reasons. Also, you must send off for your NOE as soon as you get on leave, so you have it in plenty of time. This means getting the forms and filling them out during your last trip. If you need to do the HELM Management, NAEST Management and PMC courses then it will not harm you to do them during a previous leave as it just impacts on your study time at Fleetwood.

Create a study group in the first week and work your arse off!

No wucking furries!

Ian.
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

FOI thread is here:

https://www.officercadet.com/forum/c...m-2014-to-2018

Ian
      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Thanks hatch! Spot on as always!

Comment

Working...
        X