Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offshore Industry

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on how to get into the offshore industry? I am really interested in working on AHTS/PSV, and have experience as a 3rd engineer on a DP1 research vessel, has anyone else been in a similar situation before and if so, how did you go about it? I was thinking about trying to get onto an ERRV in the north sea for a year or so but it would mean taking a pay cut to do a ****ter job.

Didn’t 60% of people in offshore get laid off in the last two years? If I’m thinking correctly about the state of the industry, it must be a terrible time to try and succeed in joining it!

Comment

You have two choices; The first is to "know someone who knows someone", the second is to start on ERRVs and hope you can jump to crankers or flat beds at some point in the future. However, I would steer well clear of the offshore sector for the time being - It's still facing major challenges with ships being laid up, low utilisation/chronic oversupply and low charter rates. Some of the largest names in the industry are also in pretty dire financial straits too.
      Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
        Didn’t 60% of people in offshore get laid off in the last two years? If I’m thinking correctly about the state of the industry, it must be a terrible time to try and succeed in joining it!
        Yeah you're probably right actually, I forget that the industry is in a ****e state atm, just getting a bit bored of my current job and fancy a change is all.

Comment

I will swap jobs with you if you want what are you doing?

Comment

Working...
          X