Moving to Tugboats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Tugboats

I'm after a little advice from anyone who has worked on tugboats, or knows more than me about the industry (which is no doubt everyone).

I've recently qualified as a Deck Officer working in the North Sea on supply vessels and it looks like my first contract out of college is as a Mate on a tugboat. The work looks incredibly interesting so I'm doing everything I can to learn about the job before I start (the cadetship never touched on this part of the industry).

So this is a bit of an open question for anyone who wants to weigh in and offer any advice.

Thanks a lot!

Well as a pilot I throughly enjoy doing trips with our tuggies, a good professional bunch of guys. I'm sure with some motivation you'll be shown the ropes and decide whether its what you want to do.

Comment

I know someone who has done it in Glasgow, he started as an AB for a year or so then went up to Mate. However that I believe was because he was determined to work in Glasgow and get home at nights - if you're willing to do longer tows/contract work to get some experience I think you can go straight as a Mate if you're available enough. Greg Livermore on Linkedin is your man.

Comment

Working...
      X