X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceeding Load Line at Anchor

Article 12

Submersion

1. Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this Article, the appropriate load lines on the sides of the ship corresponding to the season of the year and the zone or area in which the ship may be shall not be submerged at any time when the ship puts to sea, during the voyage or on arrival.
    Are you allowed to submerge your load line during loading at an anchorage?

Exceeding Load Line at Anchor

I would say only to the extent of any DWA if you happen to be in, say, a river anchorage. I don't have anything to back that up but, in fairness, if you've loaded alongside and submerged your sea water load line taking advantage of the DWA you're not immediately going to bounce up to that line on letting go, only when actually in sea water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com.

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Paragraph 2 of that article refers to FWA and DWA, so that part's fine.

Paragraph 3 states that if you are on inland waterways or a river, you can submerge the load line but only such that the load line will be uncovered by the time the vessel reaches the sea through consumption of fuel, supplies etc.. Unless you're anchoring several hours up a river, I don't see this being relevant.

Therefore, I agree with CD. No loading in excess of loadline and applicable DWA.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the vessel proposing to sail from the anchorage with load line submerged?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Is the vessel proposing to sail from the anchorage with load line submerged?
          No, vessel is required to briefly submerge load line as part of loading sequence at anchorage.

Comment

Depends then on whether it is a harbour or open sea anchorage.

Comment

Working...
            X