Distance from embarkation point to lifeboat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance from embarkation point to lifeboat

Does anybody know what the maximum allowable distance between the vessel and the lifeboat is for embarkation purposes?There is a gap between the lifeboat and the ship of about 35cm and the 'auditor' has decided this is too far.

http://www.nautinst.org/en/forums/ma...tion%20Problem

Doesn't look like there is a publish maximum distance. Only "SOLAS Chapter 111, Regulation 11, Paragraph 8 says "When necessary, means shall be provided for bringing the davit launched survival craft against the ship's side and holding them alongside so that persons can be safely embarked""

But that was 1997 so...

Comment

Originally posted by 06njack View Post
      http://www.nautinst.org/en/forums/ma...tion%20Problem

Doesn't look like there is a publish maximum distance. Only "SOLAS Chapter 111, Regulation 11, Paragraph 8 says "When necessary, means shall be provided for bringing the davit launched survival craft against the ship's side and holding them alongside so that persons can be safely embarked""

But that was 1997 so...
      I had a look through the DNV Rules couldn't find anything there either.

Comment

Originally posted by WesternStar View Post
        Does anybody know what the maximum allowable distance between the vessel and the lifeboat is for embarkation purposes?There is a gap between the lifeboat and the ship of about 35cm and the 'auditor' has decided this is too far.
        There isn't a prescribed distance. The designed distance will be stated in the plans for the Davit / lifeboat embarkation arrangements which will have been certified at installation so unless something has changed (or someone has somehow made the tricing/ browsing arrangements longer) you can tell the "auditor" to f-off
        “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
          There isn't a prescribed distance. The designed distance will be stated in the plans for the Davit / lifeboat embarkation arrangements which will have been certified at installation so unless something has changed (or someone has somehow made the tricing/ browsing arrangements longer) you can tell the "auditor" to f-off
          Slightly problematic as the lifeboats have just been installed and approved by class, which I suppose overrules an auditor. He does sort of have a point though 35cm is quite a lot. Trying to find an excuse to get the installer to fix the problem for us.

Good idea to find the installation diagrams though I'm going to do that now.

Comment

As far as I was aware the only requirement is that the lifeboat should be held alongside the vessel for embarkation in varying conditions of list and trim (20º List and 10º trim rings a bell but I may be wrong).

What sort of 'Auditor' was he?

To boldly go.....
            Forum Administrator
            OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Is the distance from the platform to the gunwale of the boat?

Are there fenders/steps on the side of the boat? On all the passenger ships I have worked on the distance from platform to gunwale has been at least 30cm but this gap has been bridged by combined fenders/steps inside the skates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com.

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Working...
              X