Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Internet usage at sea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Internet usage at sea.

    Hello,

    I am about to head off to sea again and my company has limited internet onboard that i have used before and find it extremely beneficial and improves my moral and general life onboard.

    However it is painfully expensive, so i tend to just use whatsapp. It seems that when quickly turning the WIFI on to use Whatsapp it appears that other things may be happening on my phone to use my data. I have tried the obvious such as turning off auto updates and background app refresh and also gone as far as deleting all other apps such as facebook etc.

    Does anyone have any tips on how to stop my phone using as much data when turning the WIFI on? I have done some google searches but all answers seem to be for 3/4G as not many people have the issue of paid WIFI!

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Using iphone 6 and latest IOS, forgot to add that.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not sure there is a way to stop your phone instantly searching for push notifications etc when you turn your phone on.

      I'd probably suggest buying a cheap Android handset with only Whatsapp installed, nothing else.

      Comment


      • #4
        Turn off push notifications and set your email to manual fetch.

        Big killer on the iPhone is iCloud… if it's plugged in and on wifi it'll try and backup your phone, and the photo library sync thing as well is just evil!

        Location services as well apparently uses a decent bit of data so I have that turned off as well

        Comment


        • #5
          iPhones are a pain in the ass in that they constantly try and call home to apple whenever they get a wifi connection;

          Only way to prevent it destroying your wifi data is to make sure that background app refresh is disabled, low power mode is enabled (it disables all the background stuff to do with iCloud and updates) and most importantly - never leave your phone connected to the wifi when it's plugged into a power source - it will immediately try and either backup to the cloud or download an update.
          “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

          – Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you all for your suggestions, will give it a go and try not to kill too much internet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Don't you have a laptop or tablet you could use and just leave your phone for phoning when you get signal?

              Comment


              • #8
                To be honest there is a huge debate at sea about the best way to preserve and lower data use for phones etc.

                All the above are good ways, as is finding "light" versions of apps that are full of bloat coding and data requests, turn email push off so it only checks when you ask it to.

                We have huge rows about turning wifi off when not in cabins,but all that achieves is that at 1700 ish no one can get on the net as each device suddenly sees the internet and pulls al the face ache and titter updates etc etc instead of the data just trickling through the day an update at a time. Ultimately it uses the same amount of data but instead of spreading it out it tries all at once.

                Other things to do are to turn of auto play for video on all apps, that often loads things in the background waiting for you to scroll to it.
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

                Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.


                Twitter:- @DeeChief

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  Don't you have a laptop or tablet you could use and just leave your phone for phoning when you get signal?
                  No i have to pay for the internet and if i used a laptop $50 worth would go within 2 mins.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I used an app called No Root Firewall when I was on a ship with Wi-Fi that had to be purchased. Really easy app to use - just tick the box of the apps you don't want hoovering up your allowance. $20 (20mb) lasted me about 2 months as I only had WhatsApp enabled, this included a quick voice call every couple of days. Be sure to select 'Low Data Usage' in your WhatsApp Data Usage settings as this helped as well, especially with the voice calling.

                    This was using an android though, perhaps the suggestion of buying a cheap android handset is the right thing to do - it will save you money in the long run.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                      To be honest there is a huge debate at sea about the best way to preserve and lower data use for phones etc.

                      All the above are good ways, as is finding "light" versions of apps that are full of bloat coding and data requests, turn email push off so it only checks when you ask it to.

                      We have huge rows about turning wifi off when not in cabins,but all that achieves is that at 1700 ish no one can get on the net as each device suddenly sees the internet and pulls al the face ache and titter updates etc etc instead of the data just trickling through the day an update at a time. Ultimately it uses the same amount of data but instead of spreading it out it tries all at once.

                      Other things to do are to turn of auto play for video on all apps, that often loads things in the background waiting for you to scroll to it.
                      On the Maersk vessels I worked on they had some form of 'gateway' which tried to manage the load, however the best I saw was on a super yacht (which incidentally had oodles of bandwidth) and a dedicated AV/IT guy with a proper gateway setup that automatically suspended access to excessive users based on their MAC addresses, also lots of selective port blocking (took some trial and error) which eventually resulted in smoother internet for everyone. I'm surprised that an off the shelf gateway that manages the bandwidth onboard hasn't become available for most ships yet.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What a bunch of wimps. Back in the day you had a choice of a Ship Letter Telegram (22 words for the modern equivalent of a fiver) or snap crackle pop shortwave phone calls at a fiver a minute
                        io parlo morse

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by endure View Post
                          What a bunch of wimps. Back in the day you had a choice of a Ship Letter Telegram (22 words for the modern equivalent of a fiver) or snap crackle pop shortwave phone calls at a fiver a minute
                          You also had booze and a decent sized crew with more then a few hours in port! :-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've never found an iPhone to be too heavy on the data when in low power etc (all mentioned above)

                            But the best thing I've found so far is to set a Windows PC to "metered connection" and then use Firewall to block everything you don't want accessing the internet. Make sure you do that first before connecting... The first ship I was on, I connected and then spent half an hour trying to configure the firewall. Re-checked my balance and my weekly 200mb was gone!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X