Chief Mate Unlimted and Master Unlimited Exams Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Mate Unlimted and Master Unlimited Exams Together

In accordance with MGN 1856 , Pg No 6 , One can apply for Master Unlimited Area and Tonnage , upon completion of sea-time of 36 months as OOW.

So my query is that, With 36 months of acceptable sea service as OOW, Will I be able to apply/complete both Chief Mate Unlimited and Master Unlimited at the same time That is complete Chief Mate Unlimited first and then apply for Master Orals and finally apply for CoC as Master Unlimited.

This would save time and money.

Does anybody know if this is possible ?

I think you are talking about mates/masters......yes you can, it used to be the norm.

Go to college do mates complete plus oral, masters written. Then "at some point" go back for masters oral, a much shorter course
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
      I think you are talking about mates/masters......yes you can, it used to be the norm.

Go to college do mates complete plus oral, masters written. Then "at some point" go back for masters oral, a much shorter course
      Right, thanks for the reply. But instead of "at some point" Can I go directly upon completion of Master Orals Prep for Oral exam. Also in this case, would I be able to skip the CoC application procedure.

I think it would help and clear the context here, I am overseas student. And hence for me I need Visa. And hence it would be ideal for me to complete both together in one shot .

Comment

No. You must apply for Chief Mate CoC before completing Masters application. See below:

3.4 Certification for Master unlimited, STCW Convention regulation II/24
        To qualify for the issue of this Certificate of Competency you must meet the following
        requirements:
        (a) Hold a valid Chief Mate unlimited, II/2, Certificate of Competency by meeting all of the requirements listed in 3.3;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Technically yes - but you'll have a long wait between as you would need to pass and obtain your chief mates CoC first, then apply for a new NoE for the masters oral exam
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I was always under the impression you needed 12 months sea time holding the mates ticket

Comment

Not if you already have 36 months seatime overall. Of course by the time most people get to 36 months seatime they would usually have already obtained their chief mates...

Comment

No not possible - the answer is in 3.4b of MGN 1856.

Comment

Working...
                X