Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial discrimination

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share a story with you all, it's a sad state of affairs really.
    Basically last year I completed my OOW Deck COC and struggled to find employment back at sea. My father has a friend who works within Kuwait Oil Tanker Company (KOTC) and he talked to the Fleet Personnel within the company, and they gave me a written and verbal agreement that if I was to complete a number of short courses, including Bridge Team Management and various Tanker related courses, I would gain employment with them. It took time and money to do these courses.
    Once I had completed them all, I went through an interview and they confirmed that I had the job, which I have it in writing. Then they wanted to arrange a company medical in Glasgow. However, every time I kept emailing, they told me that the finance had not been approved by the Manager. This went on and on over the Christmas period. Various members of the company making excuses that he was on leave.
    It was only recently I found out that I had been rejected by the Fleet Personnel Manager because my father is Iraqi (I have this in writing). But how is this a legitimate excuse to not employ somebody? I was born in England, my dad came over to England when he was 19. But the Manager was adamant that he was not going to employ me.
    Never had any problems with any Kuwaitis. A lot of my friends from the college are Kuwaitis.
    Now I am left in debt because of this. No job to pay the debt. A lot of legal advice stating that nothing can be done about this, because they have different laws in Kuwait.
    Anyway if anybody has any advice, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading

Originally posted by JD1990 View Post
    Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share a story with you all, it's a sad state of affairs really.
    Basically last year I completed my OOW Deck COC and struggled to find employment back at sea. My father has a friend who works within Kuwait Oil Tanker Company (KOTC) and he talked to the Fleet Personnel within the company, and they gave me a written and verbal agreement that if I was to complete a number of short courses, including Bridge Team Management and various Tanker related courses, I would gain employment with them. It took time and money to do these courses.
    Once I had completed them all, I went through an interview and they confirmed that I had the job, which I have it in writing. Then they wanted to arrange a company medical in Glasgow. However, every time I kept emailing, they told me that the finance had not been approved by the Manager. This went on and on over the Christmas period. Various members of the company making excuses that he was on leave.
    It was only recently I found out that I had been rejected by the Fleet Personnel Manager because my father is Iraqi (I have this in writing). But how is this a legitimate excuse to not employ somebody? I was born in England, my dad came over to England when he was 19. But the Manager was adamant that he was not going to employ me.
    Never had any problems with any Kuwaitis. A lot of my friends from the college are Kuwaitis.
    Now I am left in debt because of this. No job to pay the debt. A lot of legal advice stating that nothing can be done about this, because they have different laws in Kuwait.
    Anyway if anybody has any advice, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading
    Frustrating I am sure, but bizarrely the battle against discrimination is very much a white middle class one, much of the rest of the world wears their prejudices on their sleeves. There is nothing you can do about that unless the company are an office in the UK and even then it would probably be an expensive and possible fruitless legal battle. Just use the tickets you've gained to help you secure employment elsewhere, contact the agencies like Clyde, Seamariner, Faststream who all have been advertising recently for tanker people.

Comment

I'd be tempted to get some more professional advice. I assume you paid for all these courses yourself? If so you would be considerably out of pocket. I'd contact nautilus perhaps. If you have a written agreement they might be able to chase a your money back like lost wages.

Comment

Just curious how did they know your dad was iraqi? It's a pretty unusual question for an application form.

Comment

Hi,

I am sorry to read your story, but I am afraid I have seen this type of treatment before. Unfortunately, unless the Company is a UK one, you will not have a leg to stand on because they will no doubt be able to wangle their way out of it somehow under their own laws in their home state or they will just ignore you. I do not believe that they will either care or pay a penny towards your costs..... Unfortunately the rub between Kuwait and Iraq is still raw for Kuwaitis.

Some of these issues go back many, many years. I remember being at Riversdale Nautical College in Liverpool in the early 80's and we had a big snowfall one winter. Walking to college in the morning we started a snowball fight and eventually picked on a group of foreign students, from Iraq, that were walking past and looking bemused, and we were having great fun. Along came another group of foreign students, this time from Iran. Again we started pelting them and they joined in and we had great fun..... UNTIL one of the Iraqi's threw a snowball at an Iranian. (they NEVER spoke to each other EVER!) The next thing it turned into a serious snowball fight between the two nations and we were sidelined until it ended in serious fisticuffs.... there was claret everywhere all over the snow and we all had to wade in like the UN to separate them all. It was horrendous to watch......... but it just showed how thin the veneer was between the two sets of cadets. Individually they were brilliant and good fun but together it was frosty to say the least.

I wish you luck but I do have a sneaky feeling that you will have to chalk it up to experience and move on.

Sorry if that is not really constructive.

Ian
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by captain@sea59
            I am the father, I was born in Baghdad, came to uk in 1979 finished all my marine education in south shields up to class 1 master,I was in the same class with Kuwaiti during that time. The fleet personnel manager possibly races , as racism in arabia are more than any other place.
            regards
            kifah jassim/master mariner
            Welcome to the forum Kifah, I hope that you are able to stay with us and contribute. It is very unfortunate, but yes racism is very visible in the Middle East and your nationality tends to determine where you exist in the pecking order.

Comment

Working...
            X