BNRC Dartmouth! Fill me in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNRC Dartmouth! Fill me in!

OK, so apparently already qualified officers do have to go to dartmouth and I'm off there next month to do the course. I was never told but hey ho, it is what it is. So now I'm wondering just what in the hell I'm going to be doing and how fit do i need to be?

Every bit of info online redirects to the navy version of whatever dartmouth is and theres some mention of physical activity but in general its pretty bare bones as far as whats in store for RFA people. It doesn't fuss me too much as i'll start getting paid from that date so thats alright but i haven't done a press up in about 10 years. Can you fail this thing or is it a one of those 'turn up and don't look like a div' things.

You are going to have to keep us updated on this as you go through it, I'll have the popcorn at the ready :-)

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
      You are going to have to keep us updated on this as you go through it, I'll have the popcorn at the ready :-)
      Ha if I make it. I'm beginning to realise why there's a higher ticket officer shortage there now.

Comment

Hi ex rfa here it's ok they do pt sessions but are very easy on the rfa after being told to f off frequently, otherwise it's enjoyable and it's mainly an attendance course so don't stress. Also don't buy any of they ****e they tell you too such head torches or water proof gloves you will use them once so not worth it. Feel free to pm me

Comment

Originally posted by WeeBernard View Post
          Hi ex rfa here it's ok they do pt sessions but are very easy on the rfa after being told to f off frequently, otherwise it's enjoyable and it's mainly an attendance course so don't stress. Also don't buy any of they ****e they tell you too such head torches or water proof gloves you will use them once so not worth it. Feel free to pm me
          Cheers for the advice. That was the major concern to be honest that i'd swiftly tell one of them where to shove their sit ups so as long as they're used to that I should be alright.

Comment

I'm hoping to start with the RFA this September, so please keep me posted so I can sweep the cobwebs off my gym membership card!

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mwsy View Post
              I'm hoping to start with the RFA this September, so please keep me posted so I can sweep the cobwebs off my gym membership card!

thanks
              To be honest this whole course has completely put me off joining them at the moment so i may not even get there.

Comment

Originally posted by beer-engineer View Post
                Cheers for the advice. That was the major concern to be honest that i'd swiftly tell one of them where to shove their sit ups so as long as they're used to that I should be alright.
                Having recently completed the course at BRNC I would be wary of telling the PT staff to "F Off". It will create stress for your DO (Divisional Officer - your boss whilst at BRNC) and generally paint the RFA in the wrong light. Being unfit doesn't really matter, just put in a reasonable amount of effort and that is all anyone will ask. You may well have guys in their 50s and beyond on your course so they don't expect athletes and thus won't push the RFA as hard as the RN cadets.

I enjoyed my time there. It is the kind of thing that you will get more out of if you get stuck in. The guys on my course who clearly had no time for the RN way of doing things struggled the most.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Maso210 View Post
                  Having recently completed the course at BRNC I would be wary of telling the PT staff to "F Off". It will create stress for your DO (Divisional Officer - your boss whilst at BRNC) and generally paint the RFA in the wrong light. Being unfit doesn't really matter, just put in a reasonable amount of effort and that is all anyone will ask. You may well have guys in their 50s and beyond on your course so they don't expect athletes and thus won't push the RFA as hard as the RN cadets.

I enjoyed my time there. It is the kind of thing that you will get more out of if you get stuck in. The guys on my course who clearly had no time for the RN way of doing things struggled the most.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck.
                  Ha I'm mostly joking. I don't have plans to be a pain while there. I dislike courses with any company such as team building weekends but usually have a laugh even if i have the odd 'this is pointless' whine. Its just this course is one of the first major impressions to me of the RFA other than the interview and its coming across as more 'Navy Lite' rather than what they've sold the job as which was 'merchant navy with a twist'. On the other hand if the boats are a completely different atmosphere to the course and it is a bit more similar to the merch then the course does indeed seem pointless.

Im mostly just annoyed that they don't want me to shave my head anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by beer-engineer View Post
                    'merchant navy with a twist'
                    It used to be this.

'Navy Lite'
                    But now is heading ever further in this direction.

I've noticed that direct entrant deck officers expecting a Merchant Navy company that does some naval tasks are usually disappointed, and the navy wannabes are notably enthused. I'm not sure it holds the same for engineers, as a department they are much further behind on the 'Navy Lite' curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      But now is heading ever further in this direction.

I've noticed that direct entrant deck officers expecting a Merchant Navy company that does some naval tasks are usually disappointed, and the navy wannabes are notably enthused. I'm not sure it holds the same for engineers, as a department they are much further behind on the 'Navy Lite' curve.
                      Engineers as a breed usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming when things change so thats not surprising, we like familiarity, but mostly i think we just like annoying people.

Comment

Working...
                      X