Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying to manning agencies abroad?

This is just out of curiosity.

For the cadets who're with companies that don't take on British officers, can they apply to the manning agencies abroad that the guys on board are with? So for example, if the company wasn't recruiting in the UK would they be able to potentially be employed by the overseas manning agent provided they were to work to the same conditions as the guys from that country? So the same wages, work/leave ratio etc?

Are there rules preventing this? Has anyone tried it and been successful?

I don't think its that simple. We have freedom to move / work in the EU but I couldn't apply for a job in say Russia / China without jumping through numerous hoops.

Comment

There will be a good reason that your company hires from that/those countries via that/those agencies. I've never heard of a UK person going through a foreign agency which only deals with certain nationals. My company uses Clyde Marine Latvia, Seamariner UK, Clyde Marine UK and a Spanish agency for it's agency crew; every agency supplies a different rank/type of sailor and you won't find any of them doing eachothers job.

But why would you want to work for (presumably) less money and less time off? Do you really enjoy the job or are you worried you won't get employed elsewhere? The latter shouldn't be a concern.

Comment

The thirds with the company I did my cadetship with were getting about ?14k a year to work 9 month contracts. I'd rather work in macdonalds. No offence intended to macdonalds employees!

Comment

Id rather work at sea than mcdonalds tbh.

Comment

Im kinda with mechanic to be honest. Theres alot of people saying new qualified cadets should be volunteering if we need to get experience. The way i see it is this is just the same idea. Your just putting in the **** work now to get somewhere better down the line.

The only problem is most of them arnt really interested in talking with uk cadets. Alot of eastern european officers dont have a high opinion of uk cadets. But im still applying to every place i can find.

Comment

Whilst I enjoy working at sea and appreciate its difficult to get a job when you first qualify (I was a tonnage tax cadet so I went through the endless days of filling in applications for all the jobs under the sun), there is a pay and conditions point below which I wouldn't bother with it. This is significantly above what a lot of the guys from abroad would be willing to work for.

Comment

I know they seem like they're earning good money now compared to your cadet money but assuming they're earning anywhere between ?15k-?23k or less you'll soon see why this wage isn't good enough for a UK officer (our living is more expensive).

Your stress levels go up when you qualify, you suddenly realise 1) you're expected to know a lot, 2) there is more paperwork and duties than you ever even realised as a cadet, 3) you don't always have someone available to ask for help when making an important decision and, 4) you're a much bigger member of the team and your entire crew/cargo/passengers will rely on you in some way. If you're not thinking about that VXR Astra you can buy when you get home or that three bedroom house you're gonna put the deposit down for or the five week tour of Australia you're paying cash for... the job soon gets too much.

Every fresh officer will get a job eventually, I'd say you're much better off holding off and working a temp job and getting a good seagoing job than going for a rubbish seagoing job and potentially finding yourself hating the sea after your first trip.

Comment

Cadets from overseas who have to find their own sea time generally pay for and do all of their college time first and then have to hunt for seatime once they've done all their college exams. You'd need to find out what the MCAs take on the situation would be, but I'd hazard a guess that if you're aiming for a uk ticket, weren't on an approved training scheme, you'd be viewed as (and therefore have to find a job as) an OS/AB going for their ticket, so would have to get more seatime than if you were employed as a cadet. You'd also have to complete the SQAs but do all your learning via distance learning while working with a few stints at college which would essentially be library time with a few tutorials. It's do-able, the third mate on my last ship got his ticket after doing the long distance learning thing. It's likely to be tough to find a company that will take you on as a British OS, especially if you tell them you're gunning to get your ticket straight off, so if you're going to try that route be careful how you word your applications.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Was the op not about applying to overseas manning agencies after theyre qualified? I dont really see the problem with it. If your doing long contracts youll get your seatime built up quickly. Say your waiting at home after qualifying for 6 months. Is it not a better idea doin a six month contract on lower money than being in the house all day earning nothing, and its all experience.

The only real downside i could see to applying to these companies and taking on their conditions is that there is a real chance you will be the only person who speaks english and the only one who wants to speak english.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeywars View Post

The only real downside i could see to applying to these companies and taking on their conditions is that there is a real chance you will be the only person who speaks english and the only one who wants to speak english.
                      So it'll be just like you trained for in your cadetship?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                        So it'll be just like you trained for in your cadetship?
                        Basically yes. The way i see it is youll be taking a step in the right direction. Youll be meeting more people who work in the industry that your tryin to get into. Getting experience and seatime. Getting paid(even if its not alot). And proving you really do want to work at sea. All of which will look alot better when a recruiter asks "so what have you been doing since you qualified?", than saying ive been out of work or working part time in a pub.

Maybe im talking a lot of rubbish but i would rather be able sea i have activly been looking for experience when the quiestions being asked

Comment

Originally posted by monkeywars View Post
                          Was the op not about applying to overseas manning agencies after theyre qualified?
                          No. I won't go into it but I know the OPs situation.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
                          X