This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinkedIn

For those of you who don’t have a LinkedIn profile, get yourself one. It is a very useful resource when used properly, sadly many don’t use it properly so I thought I would post a few hints and tips to help people make the most of the site.

Photo: This is the first thing that potential employers see when they view your profile, that photo of you pissed as a fart on your 18th might be fine for Facebook but it isn’t for LinkedIn, likewise a passport photo doesn’t really make you stand out from the crowd, try to get a decent shot of you working or partaking in your favourite sport / hobby.

Summary: Probably the second thing people will see, take a look at Hatchorder’s cv thread and make your summary similar to that.

Experience: Don’t just list the jobs you have had - again take a look at Hatchorder’s cv thread and treat your LinkedIn profile as an online cv which potential employers can view.

Contacts: the more contacts you have the more people will see you in their “people you may know” list, so add people who you have sailed with, your training manager, technical superintendents who visit the ship and speak to you. In general it is not a good idea to send contact requests to people who you don’t know, the exception to this however are professional recruiters, these people want as many contacts as possible so that when they need to fill a vacancy for a client they will have as many potential candidates as possible.

If you are going to send a contact request to someone that you are presently sailing with then you need to be 100% certain that they think well of you, I would recommend waiting until you receive your appraisal at the end of your (or their) trip and if it is a good one then asking them if it is OK to add them on LinkedIn.

Endorsements and Recommendations You can list skills that you have and others who know you will endorse you to say that they believe that you really do have these skills, you will also be asked to endorse others. In reality these things are not really taken much notice of unless someone is searching for candidates with a particular skill, but endorsing others is a good way to bring you to their attention, just make sure that you don’t endorse someone for a skill which you have no qualification to say they are good at, for example if you endorse a professional recruiter for marine engineering they are going to look at you as either a bit of a creep or just someone who can’t use LinkedIn

Recommendations are different, these are like references that people post online for you, you can ask for these via the website, but it is generally better to ask for them face to face or via email, appropriate people for cadets / junior officers to ask for recommendations would be captains / chief engineers that you have sailed with previously, obviously again, you should only ask for recommendations from people who have the qualification to recommend you such as senior officers who you have sailed with and have given you good appraisals, an engineer cadet with a glowing recommendation from a 3rd mate or a friend who works at Tesco’s doesn’t really look too good.

Activity LinkedIn is not Facebook - no-one wants to see funny pictures or kitten memes, but if you change your profile picture every so often and maybe update your experience / qualifications as you go then people in you network will get an update and this will raise your profile a bit, so add that fire fighting course when you do it, add the first aid, add the HND, add the CoC bit by bit, not just all in one go as then people will only get one update.

As for posts, if you are going to post something then keep it professional, it would be perfectly OK to post that you have now finished your cadetship and are actively seeking a 3rd mate / 4th engineers position, it’s not OK to post that you are off to Spain with the lads for a week.

Groups There are groups on LinkedIn specifically for certain types of people, their is a cruise ship officers group, a maritime jobs group, a marine engineers group, a technical superintendents group, etc. Recruiters often use these groups to post job vacancies and they are also a good way to raise your profile. You need to manage your group email settings to make sure that you only receive the emails that you want otherwise you end up with eleventh million emails per week from LinkedIn

Responding to Vacancies Most job vacancies advertised on LinkedIn will have a method by which to apply for the job, sometimes it will be via email, sometimes via telephone and sometimes there will be a link to an online application. IT WILL NEVER SAY “POST A COMMENT BELOW ASKING ME TO CHECK YOUR PROFILE”. If the job advert says email your cv to joe.blogs@dodgyrecruitment.com then email your cv, don’t post that you are available as this simply shows the person advertising the job that you can’t follow instructions. If you are not sure whether you are eligible to apply then send them a private message or email them at the contact address given for the job.
    Go out, do stuff

Good Call Clanky, albeit a constant source of email spam it is bloody useful.

One point to add, LinkedIn alerts you as to who has been looking at your profile and others if you go looking for them. So it can be a very useful tool to slyly show a prospective employer that you are researching them before interviews, but also alerts them look to your own profile (if they hadn't already). So make sure its polished before you go snooping.

Here's mine if anyone wants inspiration; https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-white/51/8b2/394 , its got me to the final interviews for a job on South Georgia and is largely responsible for my current Cadetship. Caveat, Hatch and nearly all of the other UK cadet training managers have seen my cv so don't bother plagiarizing any of it!
    Superyacht OOW
    SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
    Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

It doesn't have to be a constant source of spam if you manage your notification settings correctly.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Couldn't agree more , LinkedIn is a fantastic tool. I have personally been offered jobs on it and have seen many good leads.

I think the main thing with LinkedIn however is the more experience you have/get the more options become available on it.

Comment

Working...
        X