Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any job leads?

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone had job leads? Seems to be a bad time for Deck Officers (or maybe just me) but I can't get a job for love nor money. Any info would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers

It's very dry on the job front at the OOW level right now. There are the odd jobs coming up but most are temporary or require experience. I did see faststream had a post this morning about tanker vacancies at all ranks

Comment

Yeah definitely very dry. Even the temp jobs end up getting filled in house. If this continues for a couple more months it's time to think about a career change I think. Cheers for the reply. I would think I'd need an endorsement to work on tankers?

Comment

Definitely very dry, the OOW wind farm role on Seacareer has 258 applications so far, I didn't think there would even be that many junior officers in the UK?! It's like the general job market post the 2008 recession.

Comment

If you saw the figures Newbie posted the other day, in the next 3-5 years there's going to be an awful lot of us without those jobs we were told we'd walk right into...

Comment

Could you please PM me with contact details, I have been making a few enquiries around LinkedIn regarding jobs for newly qualified deck officers and while I have nothing concrete I have had some feedback which might at least be of some help.

I am travelling tonight and I will be blind drunk tomorrow, but should be able to get back to you by Sunday / Monday.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Have been chatting to a friend today whose younger brother just qualified end of March, got a Job with celebrity cruises as Third officer during the week... so there is jobs out there, just not an abundance of them unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                Could you please PM me with contact details, I have been making a few enquiries around LinkedIn regarding jobs for newly qualified deck officers and while I have nothing concrete I have had some feedback which might at least be of some help.

I am travelling tonight and I will be blind drunk tomorrow, but should be able to get back to you by Sunday / Monday.
                You are a kind person, I'm sure they will appreciate the effort.

Comment

Clyde recruit Web page has a cpl 2nd officer vacancies at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by innes1981 View Post
                    Clyde recruit Web page has a cpl 2nd officer vacancies at the moment.
                    The fisheries one was up the other day with Seamariner. Apparently an immediate start which is interesting as it appears to be the same job. One that annoyed me was a trainee dpo job on the UK Chamber of Shipping website which was insisting that applicants would only be considered if they were of Filipino nationality.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgemonkey View Post
                      The fisheries one was up the other day with Seamariner. Apparently an immediate start which is interesting as it appears to be the same job. One that annoyed me was a trainee dpo job on the UK Chamber of Shipping website which was insisting that applicants would only be considered if they were of Filipino nationality.
                      I thought there was something called discrimination laws in the UK and expected that to apply to adverts too?
                      We have only just enabled the race section of discrimination here, the other sections to follow and I thought we were bad. I could understand if it was an advert in another country.

Comment

Can we see a link or screen grab please? Not saying I don't believe you, just want to see some proof before we get the outrage bus going....
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                          Can we see a link or screen grab please? Not saying I don't believe you, just want to see some proof before we get the outrage bus going....
                          I couldn't find it, maybe removed.
                          Why don't we see any jobs on French ships at all? Just thought they are very close lots of trade between the two, is there some kind of protection unions or something, being another EU country and the free movement of people etc just surprised I've never seen any.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                            Why don't we see any jobs on French ships at all? Just thought they are very close lots of trade between the two, is there some kind of protection unions or something, being another EU country and the free movement of people etc just surprised I've never seen any.
                            Brittany Ferries' career site states: "Recruitment for onboard staff is handled through our Roscoff office, who have a permanent recruitment site. French and English language skills are considered a prerequisite for onboard staff". The link leads through to this page: http://corporate.brittany-ferries.co...es-emploi.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                              Because you can't work as a deck / engine officer on French flagged vessels if you ain't french (basically).
                              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
                              X