Thomson cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomson cruise

Anyone had any experience working with Colombia cruise management or in particular Thomson cruises ?

No but interesting question I was wondering the same.
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Didnt Alistair work for Thomson cruises?
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

What do you want to know?
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

It would be interesting to know what the training is like for an engine cadet?
          Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by therookie101 View Post
            Hot and sweaty.
            io parlo morse

Comment

Somebody joining the dream next week? Haha
              Ships are aged but very good for getting experience! Training is good as long as your willing to put the effort in. Asking to do anything you need to is key! Drop me a PM if you want to know anything else

Comment

Alistair did... It's a job... And a means to get where you want to go
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I've been censored!
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by therookie101 View Post
                    Columbia manage 3 ships on behalf of Thomson Cruises, they are all old ships which from an engine cadet point of view has advantages and disadvantages, but IMHO is mostly a good thing.

All three ships have rickety old two stroke slow speed diesels as main engines and two of them have rickety old four stroke diesels as auxiliary (generator) engines.

You will be sailing with officers of a mixed bag of nationalities and a mixed bag of abilities, it will be very much up to you to take your example from the best of the officers who you work with and not to follow the ones who do as little as possible or who do things in the easiest way possible, many of the officers who you sail with will not know how your training record book works and a very small few will not care, so before you join your first ship, be 100% sure that you understand exactly what you are required to do and when you join make sure that you do it.

I believe that Thomson's have just bought another ship which may even have medium speed propulsion so they are slowly dragging themselves into the 20th century which should be good for you.

It is very easy on cruise ships to see the various dancers, shop assistants, hairdressers and hotel staff who are only onboard to party and do the bare minimum required to get a pay packet at the end of the year and to believe that this is the standard expected on a cruise ship, what you have to remember is that for most of these people, selling crap to the cargo in the shop, entertaining them or cutting their hair is not their career and that if you intend to make a career as a marine engineer on cruise ships or any other type of vessel then you are expected to behave to a different standard than the one you will observe others maintaining, this is probably one of the most difficult concepts to get your head around on a cruise ship, especially as a cadet.

On the whole, so long as you go prepared to put in as much effort as possible, you should receive a good standard of training and should have a pleasant time.

If you need any more specific info you can PM me or ask on here.
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Yes, an old royal Caribbean ship splendour of the seas I believe

Comment

Working...
                      X