Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ferry companies or offshore companies recruiting Deck OOW at the moment??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ferry companies or offshore companies recruiting Deck OOW at the moment??

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any ferry companies or offshore companies taking on Deck OOW at the moment? I don't have a DP ticket but do have a years sea time qualified working in the cruise sector. Everywhere you look its DPO this and 2nd Officer/DPO that.

Any information would be appreciated

As in something like this: http://www.seamariner.com/vacancies/2nd-officer-730/

Why did you leave cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22 View Post
      As in something like this: http://www.seamariner.com/vacancies/2nd-officer-730/

Why did you leave cruise?

Still employed but looking for a new job, don't like all the BS, I know there's BS everywhere but alot in the company I'm with and especially the ship. And anyways, 4 months on 2 off isn't pleasant, don't want to be away for that long, should have picked a different career. Also the moneys pretty garbage.

Comment

You not enjoying the benefits of the cruise ships? This is all I've heard for the last few days about cruise vessels and I have an interview with them soon.

"Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
        "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Comment

I heard through that there may be a job with Irish ferries, which are crewed through Matrix ship management.... may be worth a try....I also did a stint on passenger vessels once qualified and I could not stand the politics onboard... too many people with too many stripes and their heads up their a#*e

Comment

Mate, if you're a young single guy just go for it. It depends on each persons own needs, it's a decent place to start a career maybe it just isn't for me. If nothing else you will get good experience from it.

Comment

Originally posted by TAL View Post
              I heard through that there may be a job with Irish ferries, which are crewed through Matrix ship management.... may be worth a try....I also did a stint on passenger vessels once qualified and I could not stand the politics onboard... too many people with too many stripes and their heads up their a#*e

Cheers mate, I will look into it. Yeah gets frustrating, too many c***s onboard. The hotel department in my company all have stripes so you have the Asst HK thinks hes ahead of the 3rd Officer haha. I personally don't care about stripes I'm there for a good job, good money and good leave, sadly not what I was getting there.

Comment

I'd just like to give my 5 cents so Lewis isn't too discouraged!

I'm currently working for a cruise company and I really enjoy it. YES there is a lot of BS and a lot of c**ts BUT , if you don't get involved with them it doesn't effect you - as for the stripe nonsense who cares you get paid 2x what they do...
                The deck department on my current ship and the bridge team especially are fantastic. The work is relatively challenging compared to what I've done previously AND your not worked to death.
                The lifestyle onboard is what you make of it , if your young and single and you get involved you'll have fun. See a lot of nice ports and do a lot of good activities too.
                I'm currently doing 12 week trips with roughly 10 weeks leave which is working out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post

I'm currently working for a cruise company and I really enjoy it. YES there is a lot of BS and a lot of c**ts BUT , if you don't get involved with them it doesn't effect you - as for the stripe nonsense who cares you get paid 2x what they do...
                  The deck department on my current ship and the bridge team especially are fantastic. The work is relatively challenging compared to what I've done previously AND your not worked to death.
                  The lifestyle onboard is what you make of it , if your young and single and you get involved you'll have fun. See a lot of nice ports and do a lot of good activities too.
                  I'm currently doing 12 week trips with roughly 10 weeks leave which is working out pretty well.
                  Thank you for passing on your opinion. If by BS you mean a lot of paperwork, checklists etc - I'm ok with that (to some extent I could even say I miss it, but I won't say that).

The company during my cadetship was fantastic with checklists, handovers, paperwork etc - the formality/organisation is a key reason why I liked the job. Then I did my first contract as an officer with a different company... Although it was more relaxed, I hated the idea of not following instructions/checklists - having that nice bit of paper saying your doing your job correctly as you were train to do it comforts me.

It appears that one of you says you get a lot of work and another says not worked to death! The only way I will find out it to go work for them!

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post

Certainly not my aim to discourage anyone, which is why I said to Lewis to go for it. Different jobs are right for different people.

That's a nice rotation, do you mind if I ask what company you work for and your rank? Reason I ask about rank is only to judge the rotation for your level. My last two contracts we were worked to death. 12-13 hour days most of the time. The ship I'm assigned to is cursed though haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X