Engineer for a Tall Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineer for a Tall Ship

We are looking for an engineer to sail on board a 110ft brigantine tall ship to take care for our 179kW Scania engine, generators and other machinery on board. 3months paid holiday, good salary, fabulous job. We sail all year from the Norwegian Fjords in the summer to the Canary Islands in the winter. Be part of crew of four. References essential.
    http://www.findafishingboat.com/engi...l-ship/DB65781

Wouldn't that be more of a seamstress?

Comment

Probably looking for someone with a 2nd's ticket.
      "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
      the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
      the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
      or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
      start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

Probably not even that, Yacht MO2 or whatever it's called........a full on Chief would either be a retirement job or similar, looking at it only 3 months eave a year, it's a poor leave rate BUT there again there are some other perks, and the engine shouldnt be in use much
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I've been applying for yacht's recently. I applied for a 2 year tour on a particular vessel, currently working on tankers, which i am enjoying but i tend to get itchy feet quite easily. Constantly battling whether to stay with the company i am with, as they are a decent company and have room for growth, or just do something different.

Always thought yachts might be a good experience for a single 23yo.

I only have 5months as a 4/e though so i expected companies to be a bit hesitant hiring.
          "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
          the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
          the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
          or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
          start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

I used to sail as relief engineer for the Sea Cadets on their little brig, Royalist. It was great fun, but it was a bit like camping - OK for a week, but not something I would want to do full time.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Looks like the Jean de la Lune that has been lying in Leith for the last few years as very much not a going concern, ( a friend did make an offer on it but was turned down) given that the condition of the machinery is probably not that great and I don't think it would be an easy job. I would also not recommend it as a 'stepping stone' if yachts are your aim, this isn't a yacht its an old converted fishing boat and the condition and level of finish is not like anything you would find on a super yacht, think wearing gloves to dismantle fittings so they don't get scratched.

As for qualifications if it is still under the SCV ticket then there will be no actually requirement to carry an engineer so no ticket required simply someone who can do the job even if it has changed a Y4 allows main propulsion of 1500Kw the only perk is that its a 'Chief Engineers' ticket there's a good reason the advert is on a fishing boat site
              you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

The other thing to bear in mind with any jobs like these is that this would not count as qualifying sea time for higher certificates of competency.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

I sailed on the JDL back in 2001, I wonder how many of the intervening 13 years it has spent in Leith.

Was refurbished in Poland at some point since 2001.
                  Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Working...
                  X