• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETO - Northlink

Looks like an interesting job:
    http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/ot...opportunities/

Closing Date for Applications Friday 31 October 2014

I wonder what they pay?
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

It would have to be enough to cover the cost of seasickness pills.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Pay is around ?45k with northlink

Comment

Yeah I think I will stick with a ship that goes to warm places from time to time
          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

2 weeks on/off plus 8weeks annual leave.... pretty good number

Comment

Originally posted by mikcle60 View Post
              2 weeks on/off plus 8weeks annual leave.... pretty good number
              It’s a pretty good number if you happen to live near Aberdoom, if not it could end up being 16 days on and 12 days off if you count days travelling.
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                It’s a pretty good number if you happen to live near Aberdoom, if not it could end up being 16 days on and 12 days off if you count days travelling.
                Fairly OK for the Scots... Can get to Aberdeen in a few hours from pretty much anywhere. (3 hours drive from Glasgow max) - although that would involve leaving your car in Aberdeen
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yeah, it’s not too bad if you live in Scotlandshire, but anywhere south of Newcastle would be a hell of a trek every two weeks. Leaving your car in Aberdeen shouldn’t be an issue, being a ro-ro there is a pretty big carpark on the berth.
                  Go out, do stuff

Comment

ETO coc desirable?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                      ETO coc desirable?
                      Unless the safe manning requires an ETO then the role doesn't actually need to be filled by an ETO and as there's not that many people with an ETO CoC currently what has become common is to employ someone in the sprit of an ETO, call them something slightly different and avoid needing any qualification at all. Its all a little untidy and could have been helped if they had allowed people who have been sailing in the role a grandfather clause to get the ticket.

However if they don't have the ticket then they need to be employed as something else and signed on as the same.

I did some time on a Roro as a cadet it was a night sailing across Biscay and wasn't too bad a gig, in port without the engines for day work, stand by after dinner and then head to the cabin for the sailing get up breakfast, standby and into port. given the Chief tended to be a bit careful about pulling anything big apart just before you were going to sail it was pretty good.
                      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                        being a ro-ro there is a pretty big carpark on the berth.
                        Until a car carrier comes along and exports your car

Comment

U could fly if u live south of Newcastle 😉

Comment

Originally posted by mikcle60 View Post
                            U could fly if u live south of Newcastle 😉
                            Trying to fly into/out of Scotland in winter is always risky - not because the Scottish airports tend to be closed (although it happens) but because flights to/from Scotland are usually the first to be culled by the airlines.

I've became an expert on alternative ways home from Heathrow airport since it happens to me every bloody year.
                            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

And I doubt the employer would stretch to a flight. I think a train or bus is more likely

Comment

Working...
                              X