Cargo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cargo

Anyone know of any companies hiring junior deckies on container ships/any other dry cargo.

Really want to get back into cargo side of things but none of the big names seem interested.

I'll trade you mine for an job offshore.

Have you tried Maersk Line? Seems that deckies are in short supply sometimes judging from relief is a slightly more vague principle now, oh and there's a lot more british coming over to DIS now, mostly they all gang up in HKG. They'll put you on an Triple-E and you're stuck on Eurasia.
    - Quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side -
    Capt. Jack Aubrey

The Maersk Line guy, that's right. The Eurasian one.

Comment

Sorry no offshore. All I have to swap is juniour 3rd on a cruise ship.

I tried Maersk Line last year but they only seemed interested in their own cadets might try again though.

Whats DIS?

Comment

Why not the cruise ship job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
        "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22 View Post
          Why not the cruise ship job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          You don't actually need to be able to navigate to be a junior watch keeper. All you need to be able to do is answer the phone, work the fire alarm system and fill in the logbook. So slightly less responsibility than a cadet on a cargo ship.

Sure being able to order room service, have someone clean your cabin and dine with passengers is nice but once the novelty wears off its pretty boring.
          Problem is you need a mates ticket to be promoted so it means over a year before I can even be considered for having my own watch.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
            Sorry no offshore. All I have to swap is juniour 3rd on a cruise ship.

I tried Maersk Line last year but they only seemed interested in their own cadets might try again though.

Whats DIS?
            DIS, Danish International Ship register. so it's the Danish flagged ships, HKG are to Hong Kong flagged where most the brits seem to be, and then you have SIN, Singapore fleet. We don't talk about that one.

I'd give it a try again if you're interested in Container, seems to be a bit more demand now they have to fill up all these Triple-E's. And not everybody want's to go on the biggest ships either, so there's always a chance.
            - Quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side -
            Capt. Jack Aubrey

The Maersk Line guy, that's right. The Eurasian one.

Comment

Carisbrooke Shipping? Have you tried the agencies Seamariner, Genesis, Clyde, Faststream etc to see what they have? Contact companies like Columbia Shio Management directly?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                You don't actually need to be able to navigate to be a junior watch keeper. All you need to be able to do is answer the phone, work the fire alarm system and fill in the logbook. So slightly less responsibility than a cadet on a cargo ship.
                That depends entirely on who your senior OOW is. I did loads of driving as JOOW last trip and certainly had way more responsibility than the year I spent as a cadet on cargo ships where I was essentially a glorified lookout for a year.

But on topic I suspect dry cargo is virtually dead for British officers. As mentioned Maersk are the only big one off the top of my head that are still employing us.

Comment

Working...
                X