Work Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Experience

My eldest son has decided, much to my horror and shame, that he wants to join the RN, even worse he wants to be a warfare officer, which is almost a deckie!

So just in case I fail to beat some sense into him when he comes out to Spain in the summer, does anyone have any ideas of what he could do in terms of work experience. He lives in Portsmouth so he has contacted the RN themselves, but not sure if they are likely to be able to help him.

He will be doing a weeks work experience through school next year (year 10) and I am struggling to think of something which the RN would view as valuable.
    Go out, do stuff

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
    My eldest son has decided, much to my horror and shame, that he wants to join the RN, even worse he wants to be a warfare officer, which is almost a deckie!

So just in case I fail to beat some sense into him when he comes out to Spain in the summer, does anyone have any ideas of what he could do in terms of work experience. He lives in Portsmouth so he has contacted the RN themselves, but not sure if they are likely to be able to help him.

He will be doing a weeks work experience through school next year (year 10) and I am struggling to think of something which the RN would view as valuable.
    What about the BAE mob down there? Would they be willing to take him into the non-restricted section of the work?

Failing that, may be try asking your company is he can come away for a week with you?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
      My eldest son has decided, much to my horror and shame, that he wants to join the RN,
      I know that feeling the first one was sea, the second one RAF, but now has decided RN FAA I mean a whirlybird landing on a postage stamp whilst it goes up and down and the prospect of being shot at too!
      What about sea cadets marine cadets, CCF or does he do that anyway? It's difficult for our eldest he did OYT and sailed anyway, youngest is ATC. Whats the RN website say for warfare officer roles, from what I could gather generally it's always leadership they look for team work etc but is it just so he can see what a life at sea is like that you are looking at work experience?
      It seems to be very hard to get anything age is always a problem with these things!

Comment

One of the naval museums in Portsmouth would be a good bet I'd think.

Comment

I'd say sea cadets until he's off to uni (presuming he is) and then URNU. If your local sea cadet unit isn't up to much then try the air or army cadets. It's quite rare to be able to get work experience with HM Forces due to sneaky military type things.

If he's got his heart set on the officer route then have a look at the various post-16 sponsorship options available to him: Welbeck and the 6th form scholarship

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/...d-scholarships

As for work experience, I'd say just pick something generic that requires teamwork. We had a work experience girl for a week at college, she wanted to join the RN and the closest she could get was to spend a week at Fleetwood Nautical College....
          'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yeah he is in the Sea Scouts at the moment, it is specifically for a weeks work experience placement for school that I was thinking of. I used to travel from Pompey to Warsash so that might be an option.

Will tell him to try BAe as well, the naval museums are another great idea.

Cheers.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Just seen on Sea City an old steamship, the Shieldhall (?) - run by a bunch of old master mariners and chief engineers, does tourist trips on the Solent. Take young people on for work ex too by the look of it, might be of interest?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

It might be worth popping into the forces careers centre. My brother was interested around that age to join the army and they sent him on a weeks see if you like it kind of thing.

Comment

Yeah, he has been in touch with them, not sure what they have available for the week that he needs.
                  Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
                  X