Deck officer vacancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck officer vacancy

My company are now looking for a mate starting around February due to internal promotion. Company is Targe Towing. They have taken candidates straight from college but the job is not deep sea so might not be up to some people's expectations. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Thanks for posting, I'm sure some people will be interested. Sounds like a great opportunity for someone.

Comment

Position now filled, company quick of the mark. Will post anymore future opportunities with my employer.

Comment

I have a few questions about working on tugs, which I presume that is what your company run looking on the website. I am just on a fact finding mission to give my cadet a heads up on what is out there apart from the usual cruise or cargo.
        You say your company was looking for a mate, does that mean 3rd officer level, (deck)? Excuse this question as I am not well up on the different titles for the roles on board.
        As they are tugs do you work a set number of days a week or is it like on ships, say 4 week rotations?
        I presume you live on land rather than on ship?
        What duties do you do? I don't suppose there is much passage planning for instance.
        Or do I have this all wrong and you do not run tugs at all and these questions are pointless!
        Thanks in advance
        Jac

Comment

Hi Jac
          Yes the company operate harbour tugs. Traditionally tugs are crewed with tug operators with tug masters certificates (stcw III/3 restricted certificate). My company has employed merchant navy trained officers since they started their contract with BP some 18 years ago. Some of the masters are ex supply boat/ahts masters/mates and all the engineers have full chiefs tickets. Basically a standard they wanted to set for their operation. We work 2weeks on 2weeks off living onboard. 3 crew- master, chief mate and chief engineer. We mainly do ship handling, towage, oil spill response,fire fighting and salvage. Occasionally we operate other ports so therefore carry out passage planning, sea watches etc. As mentioned in my original post not up to some peoples expectations due to only 3 onboard you are the officer/cook/cleaner/ab and carry out some of the less desirable jobs. I never really saw myself working on tugs but wanted away from deep sea and actually enjoy the work. The company operate the vessels the same as merchant ships (much better standard than my last company). Pay and conditions are in-line with north sea supply ships.
          Hope this is a bit of an insight into a slightly more comfortable life at sea.

Comment

Thank you for that information, I didn't realise you lived on board, it sounds like you really need to get on with the rest of the crew. Do you have any females working as mates? I ask as this sounds right up my cadets street, but will being a female type be a disadvantage with the small crew or an advantage, as she is a really good cook (and I am not being sexist here but just stating a fact) and enjoys getting stuck into practical work. She is out on a buoy tender off scotland at the moment and loving it. Do you know anything about working on supply ships and anchor handlers? Would you say that you should get some sea years behind you before moving onto harbor tugs or nothing wrong in going straight in, if they would have you.
            Jac

Comment

We do have a female working as a mate. Not really an issue as with a crew of 3 as we have our own toilet/shower facilities. You do have to get on with the other two but sometimes having a long fuse helps. I would recommend getting sea time elsewhere first as in the UK some harbour tugs work exclusively in cat d or cat c waters meaning you will only ever get 3/4 of required sea for next certificate.

Comment

Working...
              X