Finding a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a job

Anyone know of any companies willing to hire a recently qualified OOW?
    No experience as an officer.
    No tanker, cruise or offshore experience

was that you in Anon? if so I shall take it down

Try all the usual suspects, Faststream, Maersk, BP, Shell, Marine Job, Viking etcetc
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Yeah sorry about that, hadn't posted annon before and didn't realise I would have to wait so got impatient and decided to post properly.

I've tried or are in the process of applying to all of the ones you mention, the problem seems to be lack of experiance as an officer or lack of experience on the ship types that have vacancies.

Comment

you only have to wait a long time for a mod to come and approve the post, I seem to be the mostly active one currently but my connection is flakier than a greggs pasty!! due mainly due to selfish other people using too much.

Anyway the blue canoe company are looking for people at the moment....use careers at sea sight, all the sponsoring companies also need seafarers once qualified!
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Seamariner seem ok too
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
            you only have to wait a long time for a mod to come and approve the post, I seem to be the mostly active one currently but my connection is flakier than a greggs pasty!! due mainly due to selfish other people using too much.

Anyway the blue canoe company are looking for people at the moment....use careers at sea sight, all the sponsoring companies also need seafarers once qualified!
            Are they? I'd heard folks (sea staff as well) were being made redundant?
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

not heard about any sea staff, so maybe on tankers? Boxes cant get enough of anyone, especially engineers
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Thanks I've sent off an application to Maersk so we'll see what happens.

Also I've seen a few adverts around for VTS operators, would doing something like that short time while I look for other jobs at sea help my applications or would it be more likely to harm my chances?

Comment

It wouldnt harm your chances at all as a job is a job tbh - people have to work. Good luck mate, I feel sorry for all the people coming through their tickets and then strugling for work at the other side - totally gash.

Comment

Originally posted by IFHP View Post
                    It wouldnt harm your chances at all as a job is a job tbh - people have to work. Good luck mate, I feel sorry for all the people coming through their tickets and then strugling for work at the other side - totally gash.
                    Thanks, I have a bar job at the min but a VTS job or something similar might look better on applications, just not sure if it is worth moving across the country for it.

Comment

I'm in the exact same position. Previous experience was on Bulk Carriers and the chances of me going deep sea seem really slim. Trying to get a job offshore just now, applying through the usual suspects but not having much luck. Whenever i apply for a job, someone else comes along with more experience and gets it. Would take anything thats going just now, been looking for around 3 months. Any tips/ideas are welcome. Good luck finding something.

Comment

well just for a first stamp in your discharge book, have you considered the cruise lines as they always seem to be recruiting?
                        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                          well just for a first stamp in your discharge book, have you considered the cruise lines as they always seem to be recruiting?
                          Agree, Carnival usually have jobs going (though not at the moment apparently) and Viking too.
                          sigpic
                          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

what people identify is that the first stamp is important, and I think some newly qualified cadets set their aims on what they want long term and miss the idea that for a year any job would be better even if it really isn't where you want to stay.

Sadly its a case of hunting all the sites, have a proper C.V. and simple things, have all your certs scanned in, I save mine online so I can attach them to an email even from my phone, when you turn up for interviews have everything copied so you can give them over. As in most cases you have to sell yourself and seem keen.
                            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Don't forget odd job agency work always pops up at the last minute, call them frequently!
                              Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Working...
                              X