Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing over to tankers

Hi,

was hoping someone could help me in regards to making the jump to tankers having no experience or seatime on that vessel type whatsoever. Has anyone ever done this and realistically how likely am I going to find a job. I’ve scraped the forums a bit but struggling to find much info other than I require familiarisation course and endorsement.

if anyone could give me any info or links it would be much appreciated.

cheers

So to get a job on a tanker you need at minimum a Basic Tanker Familiarisation Course (Oil, Gas, Chemical or a mix of these) + a Tanker Fire Fighting course. You don't need any seatime on Tankers to get the Basic (Tankerman) endorsement but to get the Advanced (which you need to control Tanker ops) you need 3 months sea time, or be involved in a certain number of loads/discharges.

The easiest route would be to find a company that are willing to cross train you - TK do it from time to time, but I can't think of many others that have done it other than in very special circumstances.

Alternatively, you can put yourself through the Basic/Firefighting courses and try and get a trip or two as an AB. James Fisher tankers are often looking. That would get you the seatime required for the Advanced Dangerous Cargo Endorsement - just a small fee, proof of service and get a stamp from the MCA.

Although Junior Deck officers don't strictly need the Advanced Endorsements, it's very uncommon for them not to have them. I have never seen a job advertised for a 3rd Mate without requiring the Advanced DCE. Note that also most places ask for x number of years experience in rank - this is to make SIRE/CDI Matrices easier to comply with and is not a fixed requirement. Don't be put off, apply anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by sailorj93 View Post
      So to get a job on a tanker you need at minimum a Basic Tanker Familiarisation Course (Oil, Gas, Chemical or a mix of these) + a Tanker Fire Fighting course. You don't need any seatime on Tankers to get the Basic (Tankerman) endorsement but to get the Advanced (which you need to control Tanker ops) you need 3 months sea time, or be involved in a certain number of loads/discharges.

The easiest route would be to find a company that are willing to cross train you - TK do it from time to time, but I can't think of many others that have done it other than in very special circumstances.

Alternatively, you can put yourself through the Basic/Firefighting courses and try and get a trip or two as an AB. James Fisher tankers are often looking. That would get you the seatime required for the Advanced Dangerous Cargo Endorsement - just a small fee, proof of service and get a stamp from the MCA.

Although Junior Deck officers don't strictly need the Advanced Endorsements, it's very uncommon for them not to have them. I have never seen a job advertised for a 3rd Mate without requiring the Advanced DCE. Note that also most places ask for x number of years experience in rank - this is to make SIRE/CDI Matrices easier to comply with and is not a fixed requirement. Don't be put off, apply anyway!
      Thanks for the info, I’m an engineer but I assume the course requirements still apply. Think I might have to put myself through those courses, I know TK had a big recruitment drive before I got my CoC in to cross train junior engineers as third assistant engineers so I suppose it’ll be unlikely they’ll do it again anytime soon. Probably best to sit put until next time their hiring or wait a couple of months and do those courses.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Ah that's a little easier!

I'm not sure about TK, but at least one big company I know of doesn't require 4th or 3rd Engineers to have the Advanced courses - you'll find it much easier!

I'd be applying now if I were you - good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by sailorj93 View Post
          Alternatively, you can put yourself through the Basic/Firefighting courses and try and get a trip or two as an AB. James Fisher tankers are often looking. That would get you the seatime required for the Advanced Dangerous Cargo Endorsement - just a small fee, proof of service and get a stamp from the MCA
          I'm sure I saw on the MSN for applying for the DCE that the seatime to obtain the advanced endorsement needs to be in a role where you would be doing cargo ops. So either as a cadet or junior oow. I also am sure there is a requirement for a certain number of cargo ops to be done in your seatime, I think about 3/4 but not sure.
          just before anyone goes taking jobs as ABs hoping to get the advanced cert because I was thinking of doing it myself. TK would be the best shout but saying that I contacted them many times and didn't get so much as an acknowledgement.
          I know the OP is an engineer but thought I'd point out for anyone else reading that it's worth checking the relevant MSN. I can't remember what number it is unfortunately

Comment

I'm also interested in moving onto a different type of ship after my cadetship, tankers would be great. If only because dodging up and down the north sea doing... not much.. is not very good IMO.
            How does one go about finding out when companies do a big recruitment drive? Especially when they are taking on NQOs with no experience in that type of vessel? Do I just phone companies up or is there a job board/website that tells us this?

Comment

Originally posted by shackleguy View Post

I'm sure I saw on the MSN for applying for the DCE that the seatime to obtain the advanced endorsement needs to be in a role where you would be doing cargo ops. So either as a cadet or junior oow. I also am sure there is a requirement for a certain number of cargo ops to be done in your seatime, I think about 3/4 but not sure.
              just before anyone goes taking jobs as ABs hoping to get the advanced cert because I was thinking of doing it myself. TK would be the best shout but saying that I contacted them many times and didn't get so much as an acknowledgement.
              I know the OP is an engineer but thought I'd point out for anyone else reading that it's worth checking the relevant MSN. I can't remember what number it is unfortunately
              MSN1866 - you don't have to be an officer to hold a DCE, so a pumpman etc will have one. 3 months sea service on a tanker of the same type whilst holding a Basic Tanker Cert is all you need (any rank). You can cut that to 1 month, but have to be 'hands on' for 3 loads/discharges. I don't know anyone that has done that - fairly rare to do 3 cargo cycles unless you are on a bunker barge either.

Get on Linkedin and add the recruitment managers, they usually post when vacancies pop up. Even by seeing when other people are starting new jobs, you can get a feel for it.

Comment

what are the names of these recruitment managers? I try putting anything maritime related into the search box and can never find anything relevant.

Comment

I’ve applied to every major company, like I’ve done with every sector. Just a waiting game I suppose, don’t feel too confident. I’ve never had any response from companies directly so far. Just agencies wanting you to join with 12 hours notice for days at a time. I’ve got 4 months experience on a yacht now and it’s apparent it’s not for me so want to make leap now before pigeonholed to just yachts. I can imagine this experience would probably be meaningless to any commercial company anyway.

Originally posted by Waaarrrggghhh View Post
                  what are the names of these recruitment managers? I try putting anything maritime related into the search box and can never find anything relevant.
                  Look the company up, go to employees and connect with any crewing officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh97 View Post
                    I’ve applied to every major company, like I’ve done with every sector. Just a waiting game I suppose, don’t feel too confident. I’ve never had any response from companies directly so far. Just agencies wanting you to join with 12 hours notice for days at a time. I’ve got 4 months experience on a yacht now and it’s apparent it’s not for me so want to make leap now before pigeonholed to just yachts. I can imagine this experience would probably be meaningless to any commercial company anyway.

Look the company up, go to employees and connect with any crewing officers.
                    ok cheers

Comment

The agency Seamariner often recruit for ABs on James Fisher and the MOD contract tankers - from time to time OOWs too. Merchant Navy Recruitment (MNR) do Fishers. Clyde Marine I don't think I've seen them do tankers other than for Northern Marine (same company) and they want experience).

TK are the obvious choice and they have a few recruitment/training managers on that post pretty frequently. Engage with them, get noticed and then pop in a CV.

In my experience 75% of jobs that are 'going' in the MN aren't advertised these days. No different to most other industries though.

Comment

Working...
                      X