Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private/Charter Yacht industry

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Private/Charter Yacht industry

    I have been looking into the private/charter yacht industry as a engineer. Curious how the job prospects are with only a EOOW, as well as if it is a industry worth exploring into? please let me know how your experience has been!

  • #2
    Its a tough industry, you'll likely need to do some long trips to start. However, you have a year at sea. Most people dock walking have a two week RYA course and that's about it. You are miles ahead in that regard!

    Comment


    • #3
      Most of the guys I know still at sea as EOOWs are on yachts working good, short length (10 weeks on/off) contracts on relatively high pay, so it's probably a good bet for you. Saying that, they're all ex-passenger ship guys, which might make them more employable.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
        Most of the guys I know still at sea as EOOWs are on yachts working good, short length (10 weeks on/off) contracts on relatively high pay, so it's probably a good bet for you. Saying that, they're all ex-passenger ship guys, which might make them more employable.
        thank you both for your information. I am in Canada, and our marine industry is quite lucrative so I imagine I would be taking a bit of a pay cut at the sacrifice for a better life onboard. Still a interesting opportunity it seems like for a young guy like myself.

        Comment


        • #5
          The only wage I know of is one guy sailing as a second officer on £55k (approx $90k Canadian), but he's on a high paying yacht of course!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
            The only wage I know of is one guy sailing as a second officer on £55k (approx $90k Canadian), but he's on a high paying yacht of course!
            That is good money no question, it is still less then a Canadian 2/o would make sailing in Canada, but the experience would not be about the money (although it is of course a decision factor).

            Comment


            • #7
              Compared to the US, Canada, Aus, Norway, *some* of the middle east; UK/EU standard wages are low (£30k pa for a 3/EO). Yachting industry pays I would say equivalent, if not a little less, than whats expected for an EOOW position in the countries I mentioned first, which is why it's enticing for a lot of officers on 30k a year. Yachting has its merits, quality locations, nice clean engine rooms, young crew attitude, although it can be considered unstable with limited room to grow in experience. If you're fortunate enough to have working rights to work on the vessels in countries that pay 100k+ a year.. you're obviously not going for the money, then ask yourself if a few years in yachting will benefit you in the long or not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Onthemed View Post
                Compared to the US, Canada, Aus, Norway, *some* of the middle east; UK/EU standard wages are low (£30k pa for a 3/EO). Yachting industry pays I would say equivalent, if not a little less, than whats expected for an EOOW position in the countries I mentioned first, which is why it's enticing for a lot of officers on 30k a year. Yachting has its merits, quality locations, nice clean engine rooms, young crew attitude, although it can be considered unstable with limited room to grow in experience. If you're fortunate enough to have working rights to work on the vessels in countries that pay 100k+ a year.. you're obviously not going for the money, then ask yourself if a few years in yachting will benefit you in the long or not.
                Thank you for your very insightful reply, yes we have it lucky in Canada the marine industry here is well protected with high salaries, I was primarily interested in the sort of life people live onboard a yacht. Quality of food, standards of living/cabin sizes that sort of thing.

                Comment

                Working...
                X