Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunker barge?

Hey good folks!
    newly qualified officer who has been offered an interview with a bunker barge company (Western European based). I was wondering whether this is a good place to start? I am tanker/gas endorsed and would ideally continue my career there but can’t seem to find anybody willing to hire me!
    would bunker barges be looked upon well for future applications?
    Can anybody offer any experience on bunker barges? Life style? Contracts? Rough salaries? Non of this information was discussed in the initial application.
    any help/advice is much appreciated, if not have a good one anyway folks!

I can’t give exacts but I believe the jobs are quite lucrative. Expect short trips and lots of time off, I expect salaries are quite good as well as career prospects. Let us know, good luck with it!

Comment

Thank you for your response! Ideally my first job would have been something with a bit more actual navigation but in all honesty I’m just happy to have the opportunity to even be interviewed. Enjoy your day!

Comment

I should think bunker barges would require a lot of navigation skill from their OOWs. Their senior bridge crews (you could be a senior officer if the vessel is small) will have pilotage exemptions etc... this could be an ideal job for you to go into working as a pilot or tug master in the future, both are good jobs that are hard to get into!

Comment

Fancy a job at Svitzer?. We are desperate for mates at the moment. Drop me a line.

Comment

Originally posted by andy95 View Post
            Fancy a job at Svitzer?. We are desperate for mates at the moment. Drop me a line.
            Andy,

Is this mates jobs in the UK or overseas? I only ask because I wondered if there was any follow up on the 9 strikes held in Holland by Svitzer seastaff over 8.5 unpaid hours a week since 2014 and this was why there is a shortage of Mates?

Ian
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by andy95 View Post
              Dropped you a message! Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post

Andy,

Is this mates jobs in the UK or overseas? I only ask because I wondered if there was any follow up on the 9 strikes held in Holland by Svitzer seastaff over 8.5 unpaid hours a week since 2014 and this was why there is a shortage of Mates?

Ian
                Hi Ian.

These are all for positions in the U.K. I understand the Dutch guys you speak of have come to some agreement with the Co.

Sadly they will not work with U.K. colleagues and the Svitzer Netherlands tugs are crewed entirely with Dutch guys.

Comment

Well turns out my interview was cancelled as they didn’t actually need anybody?
                  so back to the drawing board. I appreciate there are threads about finding jobs etc but the reality seems to be that you need to know somebody to get anywhere.
                  So if anybody knows of anywhere that is willing to take a chance on a hardworking NQO please drop me a line!
                  good luck folks and happy sailing!

Comment

Working...
                  X